Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
moody07747 said:
ok im going to order these leds today

what voltage will i need for this circuit?

i want to wire it so it will be like the pic below

i wont hard wire this all, ill have it so thres a plug on each drum so i can take them off the stand and put them away if needed

the pic: yes those are diode symbals but just say they are LEDs for now

each blue point is a solder
theres a switch at the bottom and a power supply

i dont know what voltage lights these LEDs up because it does not say on digikey

so i need to know what voltage ill need to power this up

i also want to run it on a transformer so i can run off 120V

Hi,
Just a note on your drawing.
It is never wise to connect LEDs directly in parallel due to the small differences in them. Most likely you will then get some bright and others dim because of this. Always use a resistor is series with one or more LEDs, and then connect this branch in paralell to the voltage source. This way you can adjust the current to the correct(same brightness) level in each branch.

TOK ;)

[Sorry I didn't see the next page :oops: ]

ok the parts are ordered....yea a little late

but i got a job with switch electric so i finally have some income again

anyways it cost about $30 for it all and should all get here my USPS and so that should be about 3-5 days

i cant wait to get started on this

Cyanoacrylate adhesives. But appearantly the fumes screw up solder connections really bad, as I found with my SMT soldering attempts.

what about that uv light hardening glue?

----edit----

ok update on that glue
none of the glues in my shop would hold and tape dont look good so i went and found the light glue

got that for $4.50 and a uv light for $35

well worth it if this holds strong

i still dont see why that super glue was not drying in the stated 1 minute time.....kinda strange....it was sticking to my fingers really well...

You can get superglue accelerator in a little sprayer. Causes it to cure instantly. But what are you trying to glue again? Only certain materials can be glued.

You don't need (or really want) the expensive "true blacklight" LED for curing glue. The violet/purple LED, a bit longer wavelength, still has a wavelength under the required maximum for this stuff and produces a lot more light. Much cheaper, too.

im gluing the metal of the LED contacts and the small speaker wire to the shell of the drum...this is a maple wood with 2 layers of tung oil...thanks it

for an update..its all wired and the power supply came today...i hooked it all up and they all light and really nicely too....im really happy with these LEDs

moody07747 said:
one question audioguru

How did you come up with the 82ohm resistor?

I could never figure that one out but never really searched on it much...is there some calculation that you do to find that?

It's just from ohms law, the voltage across the resistor is the supply voltage minus the voltage drop across the LED's, you decide what current you want through the LED's, and use those two values in ohms law to calculate the resistor.

ok i know your guys wanted to know how well that UV glue worked...

it works....ok

its just like the superglue problem i was having

it is supposed to dry in 1minute under the light and that didn't happen

it was worse than the super glue...this time i had to wear sun glasses and gloves so i didn't get UV burns to my hands....ended up using pliers as well

biggest waste of money ever

im going to get some new super glue and that accelerator for it....where can i get that.....home depot carry that?

Too much glue takes a long time to harden. I think they are designed for very thin layers of glue.

audioguru said:
Too much glue takes a long time to harden. I think they are designed for very thin layers of glue.

i didnt put much at all...i was planning on putting lots of layers to hold them in well....im just gunna get some super glue later on the way to welding class.....have to pick up some things there anyways

edit

ok so I went to home depot and they had super glues and all but no spray stuff to make it dry fast.

I got a new super glue thinking the liquid stuff would work better but it didnt so yea

So I ordered 2 bottles of the stuff on the net a hour ago..should come in about 3 days...

ok guys i had some extra time just now and wired up the 14" floor tom with the blue LED circuit

here are the pics

**broken link removed**

it looks so kool....really great

i was getting pist at the superglue not holding but i found that a really light layer drys fast and then holds so you can add some more while you move on to the next spot to glue

....i might finish the rest of these tonight lol

The UV glue should have cured in seconds, even if fairly thick. But only where the light hits it. I've done it with violet LEDs and it works fine. This can cause trouble in some situations- you couldn't cure the UV adhesive that squeezed through the back of the joint by applying light from the front, for example. But seeing as the LED is clear it should have been good at letting UV into the area between the LED and the wall.

What was your light source? You mention glasses and gloves, which are not necessary for UV LEDs. I'm curious if there's something out there I'm not familiar with.

Superglue accelerator is found at the craft store usually, like in the modelling section.

But really this is not the right way to mount LEDs. Usually you just have a drilled hole, you pop the LED into this small barbed bezel and pop the bezel in the hole. No gluing. You may find superglue will crack from the flexing/vibration inside the drum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back