Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LEDs to light one after the other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, back to basics for a second, what is the difference between all of these?

I have just bought this little kit for me to play with.
**broken link removed**
What else can i do with that?

I do want to learn how to do all this stuff anyway, but thought it would be like jumping into the deep end. So i did want to avoid it. But if this is pretty basic stuff, and can help me learn how to fo it, then i dont mind trying. :p
Well have at it then :) if you are diving into the PIC then you do not need the logic solution I was proposing.

I actually did not post to this thread right away assuming someone else was going to give you a logic solution. I knew, of course, that the micro junkies would be jumping right in. As I pointed out, it makes a big difference if you are doing it because you want the neat flashing light, if you have micro support already, or if you are actually looking to learn micros.

As to the micro junkies, it just bugs me when they suggest using micros to newbs for basic functions.

As to the micro junkies, it just bugs me when they suggest using micros to newbs for basic functions.

This is the 21st century you know? :D

But if you've got a logic based solution (which really isn't too hard), then by all means please post it for him - but, as you well know, a logic based solution is much more complicated, and much less versatile.

So you would advise using a huge and expensive ARM processor to flash five lines of LED's? - where a tiny and cheap PIC (or AVR) would do just as good a job (and possibly better).
No I would use $1.50 in logic to do the requested function instead of telling a newb to buy a dev kit and spend a lot of time learning to program.
What are you trying to prove?, comparing ARM to PIC/AVR, there's no real comparison - by your terms ARM's are obviously rubbish, because all PC's use INTEL or AMD processors, and not ARM. They aren't for the same market, and you can't compare them.
No I would use a $1 ARM instead of a $1 PIC. I do not recall mentioning the PC market. I mentioned DVD players, cable boxes, cell phones and PDAs. Actual high volume consumer goods. PICs are even starting to lose in the white goods market of stoves and washers which are still production consumer goods, if a bit lower in volume.

The comparison actually started with a quote from you implying that sales dollars and profitability equaled unit sales. You are welcome to clarify it.
It wasn't me who even first suggested it (it was Bill), and he actually said "Id prefere not to go into programing PIC chips, but if that is the only way im willing ot learn".
My mistake then... I misread the quotes
And, like it or not, a micro-controller is by far the best way - but an ARM would be a really poor and expensive choice to flash five LED's.
ARMs would not be a bad choice if you PIC the $1 ARM. Nevertheless, as I said above there is no reason to do this app in a micro at all when it imposes a learning curve and a $25 dev kit purchase when $3 in parts would have done the job fine.

Last edited:
Ok, back to basics for a second, what is the difference between all of these?

I have just bought this little kit for me to play with.
**broken link removed**
What else can i do with that?

I do want to learn how to do all this stuff anyway, but thought it would be like jumping into the deep end. So i did want to avoid it. But if this is pretty basic stuff, and can help me learn how to fo it, then i dont mind trying. :p

It seems some of the other guys really got emotionally involved with this thread :)

This kit you bought looks really nice. From what I can see, it has a sort of power circuit for the processor and probably also for some external circuitry. It has access to all pins on the processor and a programming part.
What else do you need? :D You will have to make your own external circuit (the LEDs) but the you have the power and the brain of the circuit with that little board.

Disclaimer: I've never programmed a PIC, so I may be wrong in what I say, but I don't think I'm completely off mark.

Just get yourself a data sheet for the processor, so you know which pins to connect to...

Here is an example of why I'd go with the micro...
Its a really basic circuit, but I bet it would work nonetheless. In my example, I just took an ATMega48, because I had no PICs in my library of parts, but they'd probably work fine too.
This design takes a minimum of components and gives a lot of control considering its simplicity.
Price at futurlec.com:
ATMega48: 1.9$
7805: 0.25$
9V battery clip: 0.1$
Red LED: 8x0.2$
And then you need some board. Can this be done much cheaper using only hardware?

Sure there is a learning curve, which I know the OP specifically asked to avoid, but I see it as a bonus :)

Edit: Now when I come to think about it, you could just skip the 7805 and power the micro directly from a CR123A or similar...

Attachments

• LEDexample.pdf
    11.5 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
This is the 21st century you know? :D

But if you've got a logic based solution (which really isn't too hard), then by all means please post it for him - but, as you well know, a logic based solution is much more complicated, and much less versatile.
I posted the ICs involved already...I did not hear a peep about more detail.

The solution was not complicated at all... a universal shift register, an oscillator, and a F/F triggered by the end "lamps"

More but not much more complicated electrically, much less complicated when it comes to effort by someone who does not know programming.

I do not deny that it is less versatile, but that really gets into how much effort is involved and if the person is expending the effort as a learning experience or because he wants to see a particular thing happen.

I posted the ICs involved already...I did not hear a peep about more detail.

The solution was not complicated at all... a universal shift register, an oscillator, and a F/F triggered by the end "lamps"

More but not much more complicated electrically, much less complicated when it comes to effort by someone who does not know programming.

The truth is, i didnt have a clue what they all did, how to use them, or how i would put them together, or what effect it would result in :eek: so i kinda hesitated to ask more about them when i knew i could program something to do the same thing... lol

Plus, like i said before, it would be good to learn how this programming stuff works. Sounds useful for future projects. But thats not to say the old fashioned way would still be good to know.

I was also thinking that it would be even better if the LEDs could fade when they turn on and off. Would make it appear alot more smoother.

There will be 3 LEDs at each section of pipe if that helps anyone. Any schematics would be brilliant, im a visual learner :)

Last edited:
The truth is, i didnt have a clue what they all did, how to use them, or how i would put them together, or what effect it would result in :eek: so i kinda hesitated to ask more about them when i knew i could program something to do the same thing... lol

Plus, like i said before, it would be good to learn how this programming stuff works. Sounds useful for future projects. But thats not to say the old fashioned way would still be good to know.

I was also thinking that it would be even better if the LEDs could fade when they turn on and off. Would make it appear alot more smoother.

There will be 3 LEDs at each section of pipe if that helps anyone. Any schematics would be brilliant, im a visual learner :)
The micro is definitely useful in future projects. Fading would be done at the drivers in the HW version... Fancier SW can do the fading directly.

I will see if I can steal some time... It would be easier if those components were in use here so i did not have to create the symbols for the schematic SW.

Well this sequencer should work... it is hard to follow because i just used symbols i had handy on my lunch hour. The oscillator RC depends on your timing, the one on the master reset I did not check the polarity on. It is just to clear the register at power up

Attachments

• LEDSCAN.PDF
    17.7 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Ah! Lines, numbers and letters :p lol
Where on the schematic would the LEDs be attached?
And does that include a fade, or a simple on/off?

Ah! Lines, numbers and letters :p lol
Where on the schematic would the LEDs be attached?
And does that include a fade, or a simple on/off?
That is just the sequencer, the LED drivers would contain the fade in and out.

In a micro circuit you would need drivers as well ... putting fading in the software would save you maybe a few passives per driver... Basically this would be the sequencer as would the micro. you would need at a minimum one transistor for each LED. Adding fading in hardware adds an additional 3-5 passives to each driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back