Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED's over transparent acrylic....

Status
Not open for further replies.

keny

Hello, I am looking for a better method to soldering LED's in place to an acrylic base.

What i would like to do is get some kind of way to make this look "professional" like perhaps getting some kind of plastic tape with traces on it, that lays flat on the plastic and keeps the LED's in place somehow...

Basically, I am trying to improve upon my technique of **broken link removed**

Opinions, Pointers, and Suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Keny

Thanks eric, that works, I was thinking more to an end sort of like this:
**broken link removed**

ok. im getting a little closer with this: **broken link removed**

Basically the idea is to screenprint silver traces on to polyester. I am not sure If you can solder that however. so again i ask what's the deal with this???

the other idea would be to do the same thing with copper. I don't really understand the process apparently it involves "polymide film" which ive never heard of before...
**broken link removed**

any insight on the topic here would be greatly appreciated. Like if I could nail down a process to try and places to get the materials i wouldn't be against getting a screenprinter and whatever and woodshedify-ing this stuff.

Last edited:
hi m8,

the silver traces will not be solderable, however i have an idea for you, if you print your layout onto your plastic and bond the components into place with glue, you can lay the legs over the tracks and use a silver ink pen to "solder" the components to the tracks.

Hey Eric, I like the copper tape angle, I am learning more about this and it seems like a viable home-brew solution for the project at hand. My question is then about making thicker versions of the tape into traces and the details behind that. I have the radio shack kit (comes with Ferric Chloride) I am wondering if you think I can adhere the adhesive copper tape to the acrylic and then apply a mask and burn off the unnecessary copper without scarring the rest of the plastic. So I guess what I am asking is if you think ferric chloride will stain acrylic, or do I need some intermediate substrate to make my traces on...

The silver screenprinting might be a good science experiment / long term solution as well, except that it's hard to get silver screen-printable ink for under $400 for 500 grams. (Suggestions? - as I'd like to experiment with this anyways...)

Thanks

Last edited:
I just noticed their kit comes with an acrylic container to work with the chemicals in. HUMMMMMMM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back