Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LEDs: How bright is BRIGHT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Luxeon LEDs should have a "best before" date. Or a warning that better ones are available. Then the old ones can be used as replacements in old circuits and the new ones can be used in new circuits.
Well I would say that all LEDs should have an originally designed date and let the engineers decide. The fact is that on a continuous basis Rebels put out a similar amount of light for half the power of any of the other Luxeons and easily competes with the high end from the other guys.

Dan

Just as an example, I sold a product which replaced 2 x 5 watt halogen backlight bulbs with 2 x 1 watt Luxeon white LEDs.

Light output was around the same - obviously much whiter than the yellow halogen bulbs and I drove them at 250ma to try and keep the heat down. They still needed pretty large heatsinks even then.

Just as an example, I sold a product which replaced 2 x 5 watt halogen backlight bulbs with 2 x 1 watt Luxeon white LEDs.

Light output was around the same - obviously much whiter than the yellow halogen bulbs and I drove them at 250ma to try and keep the heat down. They still needed pretty large heatsinks even then.
Which Luxeon? I suspect it is a Luxeon III at best. You could get away with a single Rebel.

Dan

that is a pretty good price actually. That is pretty much a car headlight, IF you can get rid of the heat.

Dan

Wow, I want one! Or two, or three... :D

Andrew

It's a new product. I think I'll wait a month or two, and see what they do with it. At least until the have them pre-mounted them on the star board. Too bad there isn't an RGB version.

They lied!

The actual spec, **broken link removed**, says 460Lm typical at 350mA and looking at the graph it looks like it will be 784Lm max at the absolute max current of 700mA and not the 857Lm that they claim.

With exceptional heat sinking you can reliably get 700Lm but you are at absolute max current and risk reduced life.

It really gets tiresome being endlessly polite on this topic. Rebels put out as much light as the brightest generic Luxeons for half the power and does not require thermal epoxy to do it.

It looks like you dont have to worry about that anymore :)

I know of better products too, but thought that the context was
to talk about Luxeons. If you know of a better product, simply
mention it or talk about it freely. I am always interested to
hear about new and even old products that perform well.
This is especially true about LEDs, white in particular.

Just to note...
I am not affiliated with any company that would put out a certain
product. I make some of my own ic chips (not LEDs) but dont push them
on anybody.

I do have some favorite companies as im sure everyone does, but
am always open to new products from just about any company.
My only requirement is that if they put out a product, that i can
get some :)

Last edited:
It looks like you dont have to worry about that anymore :)

I know of better products too, but thought that the context was
to talk about Luxeons. If you know of a better product, simply
mention it or talk about it freely. I am always interested to
hear about new and even old products that perform well.
This is especially true about LEDs, white in particular.
:) actually the old Luxeons are just what the OPer had gotten lead on and was considering. He was asking our opinion of them as well as what were typically used in the auto industry.

Dan

I have noticed many Mazda cars with burned out LEDs in the tail light array. I wonder which brand they use.

Components failures can be due to component problem, application problem or wrong selection of components. Right?
Mazda cars are made in the Orient where lots of cheap poor quality things are made. The problem is a lack of quality. Maybe the engineers over there don't know anything about LEDs.

:) actually the old Luxeons are just what the OPer had gotten lead on and was considering. He was asking our opinion of them as well as what were typically used in the auto industry.

Dan

Hi again,

Oh ok great. I for one am glad that you brought up other LEDs
too. I might look into the Rebels since i havent used any of them
yet. My main interest is in the white color because i usually
need some sort of general purpose lighting.
Since you seem to have a lot of info on these LEDs perhaps you
can supply me with your best link, either here or in PM.
I'd like to check them out.

Take care for now...

I for one am glad that you brought up other LEDs
too. I might look into the Rebels since i havent used any of them
yet. My main interest is in the white color because i usually
need some sort of general purpose lighting.
Since you seem to have a lot of info on these LEDs perhaps you
can supply me with your best link, either here or in PM.
I'd like to check them out.
Well for simple playing there is **broken link removed** which is the ones I picked up for convenience. They have a variety of drivers as well.

For High end stuff:Luxeon Rebel Stars : Luxeon Star LEDs, High Power LED Products & Accessories but they cost more and I do not remember if they charge shipping or not.

And for production: PHILIPS LUMILEDS | LXML-PWC1-0080 | Lambertian Emitter, Cool White, 80 Lumens, 6500K - Future Electronics

I will hopefully be having them in stock here along with endor blanks for one our customers in under a year. He has three different color LEDs on his product.

Dan

Well for simple playing there is **broken link removed** which is the ones I picked up for convenience. They have a variety of drivers as well.

For High end stuff:Luxeon Rebel Stars : Luxeon Star LEDs, High Power LED Products & Accessories but they cost more and I do not remember if they charge shipping or not.

And for production: PHILIPS LUMILEDS | LXML-PWC1-0080 | Lambertian Emitter, Cool White, 80 Lumens, 6500K - Future Electronics

I will hopefully be having them in stock here along with endor blanks for one our customers in under a year. He has three different color LEDs on his product.

Dan

UberG33k,
Thanks much for the links, I will have to try some of them!

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back