LED

Status
Not open for further replies.
from what i know, a normal LED can take up to 50mA, but it depends of the type....
some red leds have a nomeinal current of 20mA, some have 2 or 0.5, so it depende on the led..but i think that for a normal 20 mA led can take up to 50mA.i'll try to find something on the net about that.

I don't have a power supply from where i can adjust the current... and i do not have enough of different resistors to test it... :cry:

u can make a simple circuit, a variable resistor and a transistor, like BC639(1 amp) and use an ampermeter to mesure the current trough the led...but any way i dont think they cand support more than 50 mA,

From blowing I remember once I had connected a blown LED into tha 230V AC mains socket and what I got to saw was a BIG BOOM leaving behind black somke and patches on the wall. I thought that blown LED will have no effect of 230V AC but I was wrong. The explosion was cool :lol:

i tried something else with a led...
i used an 18V ac source and conected it to a 12 V secondary of the transformer, and on the primary-220v-i had about a thousand or so.....
i conected a led, turned on the power and BOOOOOOOOM...
even if the led is burned the distance between the contacts is so small that a spark occurs between them so the led is blown uuup 8) , and there is also the burned crystal that becones conductor at that kind of voltage.
i tried this also with a 12 mm transparent red led, but i put a current limiting circuit with a BF256 transistor and the led didnt blow, but there was something like a camara flash, but much greater....and it was fun because after that the led still worked, but it turned into a green led :lol: and it was a funny experience.

I came on to that i had the multimeter in the wrong place!! when i first measured the current. SO i tried again and my green led started to turn yellow at about 80mA. I hope you didn't put a led in anyhing that gives 250mA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…