Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED vs LCD TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

transistor495

Forum Supporter
This can be a foolish question.

If what I know is correct, LCD tv use ccfl backlight and LED tv use LCD screen with LED backlight. right?

My doubt is how come this much price difference between the two? I mean LED tv has around double the price than the other one.

There might be something behind that definetely..that I'd like to know :)

You are correct, it's more expensive because it's newer technology and makes the set thinner.

It 'probably' costs more to make, but that's by no means certain.

LED is probably more reliable. Just guessing though.

You are correct, it's more expensive because it's newer technology and makes the set thinner.

It 'probably' costs more to make, but that's by no means certain.
LED is probably more reliable. Just guessing though.

Ok, that might be because of the newer technology and market requirement. Surely they're going to replace the ccfl's in terms of thickness, power consumption and reliability.

Price will come damn down to crt level within 2-3years that we all know :D

And now theres 3D LED sets that everyone is going goo goo over.....

CCFL's are already EXTREMELY reliable, it's generally considered that LED ones are going to be less so - there's a lot more LED's to fail, and they are been pushed quite hard.

I suppose time will tell how reliable LED backlighting is.

In the meantime, I have been doing some Internet research and my lappies CCFL can be changed (albeit tricky) when it finally bombs out.

Apparently, a completely dust free environment is necessary because you have to physically pull apart layers from the physical screen to get to the CCFL and you don't want even a speck of dust in there.

And ya, a camera to take shots so you can put everything back where it belongs in the right order.

My original screen is getting dimmer by the day. Almost 4 years old now and has served me well. Still not a dead pixel in sight so I reckon surgery will be well worth the effort.

Thinking here...the only dust free environment for a normal person like me is a bathroom with all windows and door closed...have a hot shower, then bring in the lappie and operate and do the surgery on it.....while the air is still moist????

Thoughts....

Cheers

Last edited:
I suppose time will tell how reliable LED backlighting is.

In the meantime, I have been doing some Internet research and my lappies CCFL can be changed (albeit tricky) when it finally bombs out.

I would suggest failures other than tubes wearing out are more likely to be the main problems.

Apparently, a completely dust free environment is necessary because you have to physically pull apart layers from the physical screen to get to the CCFL and you don't want even a speck of dust in there.

I recently had a 'free' LG 42 inch in the workshop, it was only 18 months old, and the LCD panel was 'duff' - the original retailer had refunded 75% of the original cost, and the customer had bought a new Sony from us, then asked us to dispose of the old set.

So, been nosey, I took the set to pieces - initially it would come on, then after a couple of minutes part of the screen would go darker (obviously CCFL's going off), there was then a smell of burning, wisps of smoke, and the set would lose picture entirely.

Sniffing round where the burning smell was coming from I noticed (through a tiny hole) a bright red arcing, so presumed the PCB connecting the tubes was arcing across, so I decided to take it to pieces to have a look.

Because of knowing exactly where the problem was, I tried to disassemble it as little as possible, but I suspect it's far better to entirely strip it down.

The fault was duff capacitors, the little blue HV ones that always fail, there were nine of them each side, three or four had completely burnt up (destroying the PCB) and most of the rest were also discoloured.

So basically it was knackered, but I decided to try and put it back together, just to see if I could :D

I though it was going well, it was all back together when I noticed something on the bench - on closer examination it was an SM IC - when sliding the metal casing back over the insides, I had inadvertently 'shaved' an IC off the flexible PCB. This was when I realised I should have done more stripping down, and assembled it in the original assembly order! :p

I would suggest failures other than tubes wearing out are more likely to be the main problems.

I recently had a 'free' LG 42 inch in the workshop, it was only 18 months old, and the LCD panel was 'duff' - the original retailer had refunded 75% of the original cost, and the customer had bought a new Sony from us, then asked us to dispose of the old set.

So, been nosey, I took the set to pieces - initially it would come on, then after a couple of minutes part of the screen would go darker (obviously CCFL's going off), there was then a smell of burning, wisps of smoke, and the set would lose picture entirely.

Sniffing round where the burning smell was coming from I noticed (through a tiny hole) a bright red arcing, so presumed the PCB connecting the tubes was arcing across, so I decided to take it to pieces to have a look.

Because of knowing exactly where the problem was, I tried to disassemble it as little as possible, but I suspect it's far better to entirely strip it down.

The fault was duff capacitors, the little blue HV ones that always fail, there were nine of them each side, three or four had completely burnt up (destroying the PCB) and most of the rest were also discoloured.

So basically it was knackered, but I decided to try and put it back together, just to see if I could :D

I though it was going well, it was all back together when I noticed something on the bench - on closer examination it was an SM IC - when sliding the metal casing back over the insides, I had inadvertently 'shaved' an IC off the flexible PCB. This was when I realised I should have done more stripping down, and assembled it in the original assembly order! :p

LOL.. that's funny :D:):D

I will plan and execute my CCFL change with military precision.

The last thing I need is to reduce a working (dim though) display to something that is totally stuffed...

Then I am equally stuffed :eek:

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back