Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED voltage question

Status
Not open for further replies.

unseen wombat

I have one of those mini LED flashlights. It has a white LED, which has a turn on voltage of 3 something volts, right? Yet the flashlight runs on a single AAA battery, which only supplies 1.5 volts, right?

How is this possible? What kind of black magic is going on inside my flashlight? And, can I exploit it to power several LED's in my circuits without having to use a 9V or 12V battery?

Last edited:
Thanks man! You're awesome.

Is there any way to make it smaller? Like is there an IC I could buy? Also, isn't the toroid just acting as an inductor? Could I use an inductor instead?

There are many designs called Joule Thief. Some have been put into very small spaces. Check several of the listed web pages.

What limits the output voltage range on these? I mean, if you started putting LEDs in series, could this also provide 6V, 9V, 12V and so on?

The Joule Thief has a very small output current so the single LED is lighted but it is not bright.
There are powerful voltage stepup iCs that are made for very bright flashlights.

Yeah, I've been using Maxim-IC step-up converters. But I mean, can I also get 18V or more from a joule thief? If these are capable of x12 multiplication or more, I'd like to know how they do it.

Last edited:
It depends on the Q of the core, I'd guess you can get 10V to 15V maximum and only at a very low current.

The efficiency will also fall as the output voltage rises.

Last edited:
Okay, something about this is jacked up because I tried this with a 10mm white LED and not absolutely nothing. Even the tiny red ones barely got any illumination and I tired two transformers. Will just any toridal transformer work as long as it has 1:1 coupling?

Okay, something about this is jacked up because I tried this with a 10mm white LED and not absolutely nothing. Even the tiny red ones barely got any illumination and I tired two transformers. Will just any toridal transformer work as long as it has 1:1 coupling?

I built a couple of these: 1.5 VOLT WHITE AND UV LED DRIVE CIRCUIT (scroll down to "A Circuit Enhancement") and they worked great. It's just a variation on the Joule Thief idea. I used the 20-tap-20 windings on generic small ferrite toroids using 30 gauge magnet wire as suggested. One fully charged NiMH AA cell ran a 3V white LED for just about 7 days straight before it dropped to about 1/2 brightness.

Torben

Edit: I found a photo of the thing. The tape is just to hold the 30 gauge wire and AA cell in place; the big plastic spike was just over the LED for giggles.

Attachments

• IMG_1547.JPG
    IMG_1547.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
The Joule Thief operates the LED at a low current so it is not as bright as it can be.
Its brightness might be bright enough for what you want.

By the way, when people are building this: is anyone using breadboards? Normally I won't solder this kind of thing until I've seen it function on a breadboard first. But the the board's stray capacitance is in the way...well...does this also work on breadboards?

By the way, when people are building this: is anyone using breadboards? Normally I won't solder this kind of thing until I've seen it function on a breadboard first. But the the board's stray capacitance is in the way...well...does this also work on breadboards?

Mine works just fine on the breadboard. The only component I found that was all that important was the transistor, and it was perfectly happy with 4401, 3904, 2222, and so on, so even that wasn't terribly important.

Again, the one I built wasn't exactly the Joule Thief, but as far as I know it's essentially the same idea.

Torben

Good call one the modified version. That one is working for me and everything seems to work at max brightness. I used a 2N3904, a 1N4148, and a ceramic 0.1uF capacitor in parallel with different LED variations. My 1watt XLamp was bright enough to provide reading light to a 10x10x10ft room. That's the brightest I've seen it since I bought it over a year ago.

By chance, has anyone had any luck powering logic with this? Anything like glue logic, 555's, or microcontrollers?

I tried to power a 556 with it, but no luck. I was only getting 3 volts out of the joule thief though, so if you have a better toroid, then you might very well be able to do it.

I saw your site, and I'm trying to learn AVR too! Sh*t is hard! Your stuff is amazing though. :) I like the PS2 controller project. I'll be happy if I can just get some LED's to flash.

Last edited:
The minimum supply voltage of an ordinary 556 is 4.5V and its maximum supply current is 6mA without a load. A Joule Thief probably won't drive it.

The minimum supply voltage for a Cmos 555 is 1.5V and its current is almost zero. A Joule thief will drive it perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back