Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED Turn On Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisab508

Hey Guys,
I have a bunch of green LEDs (not super bright), the plastic around the actual LED is physically green, but they did not come with a turn on voltage. 3V seems to work but they're not too bright, is there any way I can figure it out? What's the standard turn-on voltage for non super bright green LEDs?

Thanks,

- Chris

I think that green is typically around 2.1 V. It is quite easy to measure it yourself. Connect the LED in series with a 150 ohm resistor and hook this circuit up to a 5V power supply. You should get about 20mA of current flow which is a common amount of current at which to specify the voltage drop of the diode. Just measure the voltage drop using a voltmeter.

Is it possible that they have a built-in resistor?

Modern green LEDs are made the same as blue and white ones and have a forward voltage of about 3.2V to 3.5V. They are very bright.

LED lamps must be driven with current, not voltage. Allow for the 3.5V forward drop, and size the resistor accordingly. Most lamps are rated for 20 mA nominal. I always use 10 mA or less, for long reliable lifetimes.

Last edited:
If they have green plasitc they are most likely 20mA max. So connect an milli-ammeter and variable power supply (or just a 1k pot) and adjust it to 20mA then read the LED operating voltage.

I also agree with Claude you should only run it at about 1/2 its max current so 10mA is plenty.

The LED turn-on voltage is probably not controlled by the manuf. and may vary +/- 25%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back