Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED transistor matrix setup idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh00

Hi,

I'm designing an 8x8 LED matrix controller, however I'm not sure on the best/most efficient way to drive the LEDs.

They are common cathode matrix arranged LEDs in 8 columns and 8 rows. I want to use a load of "ULN2804A" transistor arrays I have which are darlington NPNs I think.

I want to scan the columns across from left to right, using a 4017 counter to 'select' a column, and then the transistor array to turn on the row circuit as needed for each column. I also want to be able to 'select' a display, as I will be hoping to easily expand the 8x8 to be many units wide. Thats why I'm thinking of maybe a counter that I can expand so it can scan columns from 1 to say 32, just by getting a clock pulse.

Whats the best setup of transistors and LEDs to use, I'm thinking a resistor on each row just after the transistors to limit the current and make an even light across each LED regardless of how many are lit at a time. Obviously persistance of vision and refresh speeds comes into play here, but I'm not worrying about that for now, just the basic drive hardware.

Thanks

ok I don't think I explained myself very well there:

I have a load of ULN2804A transistor arrays. I want to drive a grid of 8x8 LEDs, what is the connections I should use and should I have resistors (and what values) on the control pin of the transistors so I can drive them from other logic circuits? I need to be able to control rows and columns seperately for each row/column so I will need transistors on the rows and columns right? The LEDs are just standard red LEDs arranged in a usual matrix.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back