Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED Test light

Status
Not open for further replies.

baintx

I built a test light using A resistor and LED in series.
The total voltage is 74 DC volt, the resistor is 3900 ohm.
Current calculates at .0189.
LED's are rated at 30 ma and 3.2 to 3.8 volts.
My LED's work for a short time then burn out. Can anyone
explane to me why and what I need to do to correct this problem.

baintx said:
I built a test light using A resistor and LED in series.
The total voltage is 74 DC volt, the resistor is 3900 ohm.
Current calculates at .0189.
LED's are rated at 30 ma and 3.2 to 3.8 volts.
My LED's work for a short time then burn out. Can anyone
explane to me why and what I need to do to correct this problem.

Under those conditions they shouldn't burn out, so I suspect the conditions are probably other than you thought?.

74V is a very strange value, where is it coming from?.

Make sure that the resistance is 3.9K by checking with a meter. I have seen 390R at 2% (or 392R with more colored bands) being mistaken for 3.9K by people in the past.

That explains it , your getting spikes in the supply volage from inductive loads.

Maybe it will be a good idea to put a 3.9~4.7V-1W zener diode in parallel with the led to protect it from any spikes and shunt the excess current.

TheOne said:
put a 3.9~4.7V-1W zener diode in parallel with the led

To clarify TheOne, it is implied as anti-parallel, not direct parallel... (zener normally reverse biased)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back