Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED Sync with music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cazzo

Hello

So i want to build a working, reliable circuit that will Sync 2 banks, of 12V LED's to the music beats. The supply voltage to run the circuit will just be a car battery, and the music input is just an Audio jack.

I dont think relays will be used because they are to slow and draw more current than a MOSFET would, but you guys are the experts, can you help me?

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

I found these, i dont understand the schematic by itself but with the overlay i should be able to.

My question here is, will this circuit work for what i want?

also, this uses 3 bulbs and i think thats stupid. To add my 2 banks of 12V LED's to this circuit, would i just connect them to 2 of the MOSFET's and leave the last one unconnected?. Also depending on the Rating of the MOSFET's Used, i should be able to switch the LED banks straight off them? or will i need another set of MOSFET's wired as a switch to the 12V Car battery, for the LED banks. which are controlled by the existing MOSFET's on the board??

Just think along the line of a darlington driver circuit to drive the led banks.
a simple circuit can be made easily

audio signal via Resistor and Capacitor driving the base of the darlington eg BC547 and BD139.

led's from +12 V to collector.
Emitter to negative of 12 V supply

Yo, RODALCO

I have a basic understanding of electronics, best ive done is program AVR's. When you say darlington, i sort of know you mean the 2 transistors "Darlington Pari". but what im saying is, i dont understand what you mean.

Are you saying make this darlington driver circuit as an addon to the existing circuit above?

or a completley new circuit?

What you are after is most commonly called a color organ circuit. A collection of them in variations can be found here including the circuit you posted.

Most circuits like this, including your example are designed to respond to three channels of audio broken down as Bass, Mid Range and High frequencies. Thus the term 3 channel color organ. If you look at the circuit you will notice everything for the 3 channels beyond D1, D4 and D7 is the same redundant circuits. Q1 & Q2, Q3 & Q4, and finally Q5 & Q6 are the driver circuits for the MOSFETS Q7, Q8 and Q9.

The front ends of IC1 B, C, and D are where the incoming audio frequencies are filtered to get the responses to the low, medium and high frequencies. Any one of those circuits would work independent of the others. Any one could be hacked or modified to do what you want. You seem to want a single (One) channel color organ circuit that will drive a transistor that will deliver enough current to drive a pile of LEDs.

Ron

Last edited:
Yes, that is about it. Personally I would go with three banks of LEDs as it is a three channel system but if you want two, then only use two channels. I have no clue what your LED "banks" are so just make sure the LEDs have proper current limiting if and as required. If the power is just going to be a car battery, design around about 12.5 volts. If this is an actual automotive application keep in mind the voltage will vary between 12.5 and likely in excess of 14.5 volts. This is the data sheet for the MOSFETS and I doubt you will exceed their limits.

Ron

Thanks for the datasheets :)

So do you think i will need a voltage regulator circuit for 12.5V to protect it from that possible 14.5V spike?

Also, the "RX Bulb" at the left of the schematic, i can easily replace with a current limited LED? because i dont want any Bulbs anyware, there outdated and look stupid.

The "Banks" i was talkin bout just means, a bunch of LED's all together in a "Bank" (Same as a "Bank" of Capacitors as part of a Capacitor "Bank" as seen in railguns) All it is is a bunch of LED'S all together, that operated off 12V. Exactly the same as the new car tail lights, all LED'S

That actual light bulb you see is necessary. It does not light up so will not even be visible. Do you have a link or data sheet on the LEDs you plan to use? You mentioned 12 volt, if they are designed for automotive it will be fine, if not, just a matter of adding a series resistor with each bank.. Just need to see the data sheet.

Ron

Ohk, the LED bank is designed for Automotive so it will be fine, and that bulb is just for current limiting or watever. I figured yes i may use the third channel. that should basically be it then, thanks Ron, ill get around to making this and see how it goes :)

OTAY & have fun with it.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back