Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED Sign Board 30X7 - PIC16F628A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Gayan,
Where did you purchase those leds from? Do you have a part number or something for it? Or even a link to a website?

Master are you there!

Ah yes that 74HC164 is one of my favorites & I have done some few boards using that.I have attached one of my PCB layout done in past.

I'd like to do a row scan to a large column displays.

Thanks for your information.

A bit off topic what you doing these days sir?
Gayan,
I have interest in building LED Sign Board that is scrolling led display(Like the one you posted 9th July 2008), has a project kindly help me with materials to use and how I can go about it. What I want the Sign board to display the Message "WELCOME TO SCHOOL + arrow". Gayan, I will very happy if you can assist. Awaiting your replay, Thanks.
Regards
Bolaji

Gayan,
I have interest in building LED Sign Board that is scrolling led display(Like the one you posted 9th July 2008), has a project kindly help me with materials to use and how I can go about it. What I want the Sign board to display the Message "WELCOME TO SCHOOL + arrow". Gayan, I will very happy if you can assist. Awaiting your replay, Thanks.
Regards
Bolaji

If you have experience with PICs I can give a hex file with a message "WELCOME TO SCHOOL + arrow"

can you provide us some schematics...i'm interrested about how to made a signboard...thanks

Last edited:
i need help

is there anyone who can help me with my project? it's actually a 30x7 LED array display. and im using discrete LED's. and im just using a microcontroller which has 16 outputs only... what IC will i use in order to drive or to aid my array display???

Gayan Soyza, can you post a schematic and hex or asm file for pic16f628 please please pretty please. :) Or tell me where i can find a scrolling LED tutorial useing a 16f628 and .asm

To the two of you above: this thread is over a year old and the first thing he said was he cannot disclose how he did it.

(Above) Mike gave a good description of how it can be done. What needs to be explained further?

:confused:Hi Mike, Thanks for pointing that out. I read it through from start to finish and only noticed the date from the last reply. I realise he cant give to much info on the sign he made. I thought maybe a wiring diagram and basic code so that i could understand it better. I searched the internet a few months ago but only found projects wit AVR or in C . Im struggling with PICs and ASM. and dont want to switch over to anything else before mastering PICs.
"Mike did you manage to sort out the keypad code." :)

I am curious as why he did not drive 7 rows with the pic16f628a (7 outputs) and use 3 4017 chips as column drivers. (7x30)
All 4017 chips can use a common clock, and have individual resets to drive them and in sequence. (1 ck + 3 resets = 4 outputs of PIC)
Now you have used 11 outputs of PIC. Putting aside RA4 and RA5, you still have 3 more outputs that can drive 3 more resets of 3 more 4017. Turning this baby into a 7x60!

I welcome any insights.
Chip

I'm a manufacture of signboards.There is a very competitive market over here.That's why I cannot give the full details & techniques I used.Sorry for that.

It doesn't matter how you driving the displays.It can be used shift registers,johnson counters etc.......Finally all you need is to smoothen the display.

Another one did recently.......it uses latch shift registers.

YouTube - Signboard - Train.mov

Attachments

• Next Train.jpg
    Next Train.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 608
  • Prttah.jpg
    Prttah.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 503
Last edited:
I'm a manufacture of signboards.There is a very competitive market over here.That's why I cannot give the full details & techniques I used.Sorry for that.

It doesn't matter how you driving the displays.It can be used shift registers,johnson counters etc.......Finally all you need is to smoothen the display.

Another one did recently.......it uses latch shift registers.
----------------------
Hi Gayan:
By all means my feedback was not to devaluate your hard work and long hours your put into this project. I understand what you tried to accomplish. Job well done and keep up the good work. I was just was sharing some thought.

I also understand there are many ways of implementing this project. I would have prefered CAT4016 LED drivers myself. But my posting was specific to use of 4017 and pic16f628a with minimal chips and cost as you were doing.

To add to your thoughts and giving you food for thought, you can easily turn the single LED's to RGB and use 3 pins of PIC to deliver the color across the board. A bit more complex. However if you can implement that then you are able to not only create different colors but also turn the project into a 3D sculpture.

Godspeed.
Chip

Hello
This guy explains a lot on ho to program a pic and use a Johnson counter . Has some interesting stuff on his site.
gogo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back