Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED/motor circuit assistance needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

matgray87

Hi,

The circuit I am trying to create is powered by a 3.6v rechargeable battery. On depression of a switch, I need a motor to run, and 4 red LEDs to light. After ~3 seconds, I need the red LEDs to turn off and be replaced by 4 green LEDs which will gradually fade over a period of ~3 seconds. On release of the switch, I need the motor to turn off, but still allowing the green LEDs to fade to zero brightness.

I understand that i need to incorporate a capacitor across the power supply (after the switch) so turning the switch off leaves the green LEDs running from the capacitor charge; however, at present, the only way i can achieve close to what i need is by using 2 separate circuits (one for the motor and red LEDs and the other to charge the capacitor and green LEDs), and having to change between LEDs manually with 2 different switches.

I haven't a clue how to keep the red LEDs on for a specific time span and then instantaneously turn them off and replace them with the fading green LEDs...

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks, Matt.

Your easiest option is to get a microcontroller to do all the timing.

You will need a transistor provide enough power to turn on the motor, with the microcontroller turning on the transistor.

ok...as you can probably tell, i only have a fairly basic understanding of electronics... how would i connect a microcontroller with a transistor... if i try and draw a circuit would you tell me where i was going wrong, or would you help me to draw one up? thanks,

Matt.

You need to learn how to design a program and how to program the micro-controller.
Then you need to learn about transistors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back