Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED matrix visibility in daylight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

Working on a project that requires an LED array that can be visiable in daylight aprox 30 ft away. Needs to be small and compact (hopefully Kingbright will send samples of 3"and 4" matrix displays.
May have to build one using SMD (have several BRIGHT LEDs hopefully as samples)
Any suggestions?

I believe the large billboard or scoreboard type displays do something like mounting the LEDs in a recessed cavity that is painted a flat or floss black. That way, even in direct sunlight, the LEDs are still visible.

good idea, never occured to me.
Am building a proto type to try out using LEDs I have on hand.

here is matrix I am hopeing Kingbright sends as a sample
**broken link removed**

Hi MrDEB,

here in Thailand road intersections do not only have the usual traffic lights, but a three colour numeric time display indicating the remainder of seconds for each phase, green, yellow and red respectively. They use tricolor 10mm LEDs and they are clearly visible depite sunlight.

As Carl already mentioned they are mounted on a black back ground and have some kind of "roof" preventing rain to fall directly onto the acrylic cover.

Boncuk

Working on a project that requires an LED array that can be visiable in daylight aprox 30 ft away. Needs to be small and compact (hopefully Kingbright will send samples of 3"and 4" matrix displays.
May have to build one using SMD (have several BRIGHT LEDs hopefully as samples)
Any suggestions?

the premade matixes generally are NOT SLV ... look for them to be over 2C NOTmC

Last edited:
So I may be building my own matrix using SMD that has at least an intensity of 2C and 10mm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back