Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED Lowervoltage resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayjay011

I have a 5.4 volt battery and need some help on how to lower the voltage to 3.7-4 volts, which resistor do I use or any ideas?

thanks

JB

An LED sets its own voltage. Your circuit must limit the current usually with a series resistor.
Ohm's Law is used to calculate the value of the resistor.

Assuming that your 3.8V LED works well with a current of 20mA then the resistor is (5.4V - 3.8V)/20mA= 80 ohms. An 82 ohm resistor is the closest standard value.

it is a ULTRAFIRE T6 5Mode CREE 900 Lumens XM-L LED Lamp Bulb
Operating Voltage: 3.7-4.2V and it is only one LED I am trying to use in my torch so I will only need one 82 ohm resistor?

I have never heard of a 5.4V battery. It is not lead-acid, Ni-Cad, Ni-MH, Alkaline, carbon-zinc nor Lithium. What is it?

I could not find a datasheet for the LED you are using so I don't know its maximum allowed current. For as torch you probably want a current a lot more than only 20mA so the resistor value must be much less and maybe the current should be regulated.

You need a buck circuit:
**broken link removed**

BUCK CONVERTER for HIGH-POWER LED 250mA - 1watt LED
This circuit will drive 1watt white LED from a 5v4 supply and is capable of delivering 300mA.
The driver transistor is BD 327 and the inductor is 70 turns of 0.25mm wire wound on the core of a 10mH inductor.
The voltage across the LED is approx 3.3v - 3.5v
The 1R is used to measure the mV across it. 300mV equals 300mA LED current.
The diode MUST be high speed. A non-high-speed diode increases current 50mA!
This circuit is the best design as it does not put peaks of current though the LED. Reduce 390R slightly to increase max. current.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back