Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED lighting system

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wasn't sure which category to post this in, so i chose this one.

I am a woodworker, and building a 20" x 20" x 20" walnut lockbox. I would like to have a LED light system in the interior, but I don't know where to go, or where to start. I'm looking for any suggestions, advice, hints, etc. There will be multiple shelves on the interior, and the bottom of the box will probably be flocked (flocking is a dust felt that is attached to a surface with an adhesive). i would very much like the lights to be somewhat bright, but not shining right in my face when the box opens, and the doors are on the front side (open towards you). i have a 12 volt battery recharger, so i assume i will be running 12 VDC. i also have a 4 channel 12 VDC remote control system (i am running some type of actuator or solenoid off of also), and have yet to determine if the LED's will run directly off of the recharger, or out of the remote system. i think i would like the LED's to turn on automatically when the front doors are opened.

the problem i have is funding. i just started a small business (custom woodworking, piano tuning, live piano music, beekeeping, selling local honey, small-party catering, photography for any occasion), and it's a slow start. basically im shopping cheap. i think i would like to use many inexpensive lights, but i will take all suggestions offered, both negative and positive suggestions.

if you would like to see the project in the works, i have most of my woodworking photos posted on my facebook account. feel free to add me as a friend, and you can see what i'm working on. it make help whoever is interested understand what it is going to look like.

my facebook name is David Dix, and my profile photo is a profile of me looking at a firebird. thanks for your time!.

David

Last edited:
"I'm shopping cheap" and "I would like to go for many expensive LED lights".

If we were face to face, it would take some time to have this conversation. I have the idea that you do not know how much light to expect from an LED or that there are many sizes of LED now available. I have the idea that you do not know how to apply power to LEDs without burning them up. Am I right?

i meant to say INexpensive LED lights. yes, i don't know anything about brightness, size, or applying power to them. you are correct #12

I think it would be useless to continue this conversation until you go look at some LEDs, bring some home and try them in the box and see how useful/useless one LED seems to be. Then report the size of the LEDs you saw and how much better you want this to look than one LED will do for you.

Meanwhile, I have a family thing to do. Gotta go for now. Sorry. Maybe someone else can also contribute.

Hi David.

LEDs are cheap, go buy a bunch of small 5mm LED and some 470Ω ½ watts resistors and connect the resistor in series with the LED. If the LED doesn't light, reverse its polarity.
In the specification for the LED look for around 10000 mcd. If this is too much light, try a smaller number.

Good luck with your new business.

Mike

LED Strips.

LED strips might be the way to go... they are fed from the same 12V power supply and can be very unobtrusive. In addition, they are self adhesive and you can paint over them or put material over them with holes. They can be quite bright, you might consider a diffused piece of clear plastic to make it nicer.

I'm a great fan of RGB LED strips, but I think all you will require is white. A metre of the stuff will be easily affordable (I would say). You can cut the strip every 5cm or 10cm so it meets your needs close to exact. You can go around corners by joining strips together.

Maplin describes it well... and they're about the most expensive place to buy from:

**broken link removed**

You can have warm white and cool white... if it's too bright you can pull back on the voltage a little bit, that will dim them. This URL describes the kind of stuff on offer...

**broken link removed**

...but I think much better deals can be had. I've bought a metre of RGB tape before for about £16.

P.S. - they also have the appropriate resistors built-in to the strip, so no fannying around with them is required... or no thought, should I say.

Last edited:
i wasn't sure which category to post this in, so i chose this one.

I am a woodworker, and building a 20" x 20" x 20" walnut lockbox. I would like to have a LED light system in the interior, but I don't know where to go, or where to start. I'm looking for any suggestions, advice, hints, etc. There will be multiple shelves on the interior, and the bottom of the box will probably be flocked (flocking is a dust felt that is attached to a surface with an adhesive). i would very much like the lights to be somewhat bright, but not shining right in my face when the box opens, and the doors are on the front side (open towards you). i have a 12 volt battery recharger, so i assume i will be running 12 VDC. i also have a 4 channel 12 VDC remote control system (i am running some type of actuator or solenoid off of also), and have yet to determine if the LED's will run directly off of the recharger, or out of the remote system. i think i would like the LED's to turn on automatically when the front doors are opened.

the problem i have is funding. i just started a small business (custom woodworking, piano tuning, live piano music, beekeeping, selling local honey, small-party catering, photography for any occasion), and it's a slow start. basically im shopping cheap. i think i would like to use many inexpensive lights, but i will take all suggestions offered, both negative and positive suggestions.

if you would like to see the project in the works, i have most of my woodworking photos posted on my facebook account. feel free to add me as a friend, and you can see what i'm working on. it make help whoever is interested understand what it is going to look like.

my facebook name is David Dix, and my profile photo is a profile of me looking at a firebird. thanks for your time!.

David

you need to start here: Incandescent light bulb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and then realize that generally LEDs are directional light and normal bulbs are not.

from there dealextreme.com is usually a good source

thanks hippogriff. i live in Illinois in USA, and assuming the shipping alone from UK would kill me. :p

Um, yeah... I didn't mean buy them from the UK... I meant buy these. ;) I reckon they'd be the best choice (or close) for what you're looking to achieve. I can't guarantee but - like most things - I guess they'd be even less expensive in the US.

Last edited:
Something like these CCFL's are a bit more expensive but will make a much cleaner installation than a bunch of LEDs. I used some for under counter lighting in the kitchen. They have a bit of a blue tinge which might be nice for displaying your diamonds.

ROFL what diamonds? i couldn't afford a diamond if someone gave me one for free! lol

im considering the CCFL's. i think the LED's might be way too bright for a 20" x 20" x 20" box. ill just keep reading, and try to come to a reasonable conclusion.

Last edited:
ROFL what diamonds? i couldn't afford a diamond if someone gave me one for free! lol

im considering the CCFL's. i think the LED's might be way too bright for a 20" x 20" x 20" box. ill just keep reading, and try to come to a reasonable conclusion.

to bright? there is no such thing... you simply use a less expensive LED and/or don't drive it so hard!

if you get a reasonable one to try and adjust the drive level to where you want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back