Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED Light keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aphilibert

Hey, this is my first post here, so you may have to bear with me and my crude msPaint diagrams a little on this, but I'll attempt to explain what i'm looking for.

I'm in the very slow process of building a 'light keyboard', essentially a musical keyboard, but instead of playing a different note, I want each key to light up a different light pod, which when placed around the room, allow you to play along visually with music.

**broken link removed**

I have a 5A 12v power supply, and 24-30 12v 4led pods, and my original plan, was to turn an old electric keyboard into the main switchboard that everything connected to, but the sheer scope of wiring all the switches and everything together, just isn't for me.

This is the best example i can come up with off the top of my head, for essentially what I'm looking for in a switchboard, but preferably with 12 buttons per board. Best case scenario for the light pod connections would be speaker wire spring clips, as i'd be able to unplug everything fairly simply for storage, or moving it around. (I know very little about electrical diagrams, so this seems to make sense to me, but I can explain better if I left anything out.)

**broken link removed**

I've tried ebay, and google shopping, but I'm not sure exactly what to search to find what i'm looking, admist the millions of other similar technical names. Does anyone know where I could find something like what I'm looking for? It seems fairly simple, just tedious amounts of work, is there any place that builds these sorts of things on request, if you can't just buy them outright?

Thanks in advance

so you want lights around the room with a central control box?

how many lights, how bright each, what type, what colors, programmable/on demand commands, wireless(IR/RF), range?

Here's no help at all, but just to throw in a thought:

Are you familiar with MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface)? A MIDI device (keyboard, whatever) does not output a musical note. Rather, it outputs a code that tells a following device (a computer in some form) to produce a musical note, and whether the note should sound like a piano, guitar, saxophone, whatever.

The MIDI output could just as well be converted to control LEDs on-off. How to do that I have no clue, but I thought I'd throw in the MIDI idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back