Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED illuminated home

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to run low wattage lighting off battery power, look for small inverters, like they sell as universal chargers for your portable devices and Cellphones. Some even have built in battery packs these days. Pretty cheap too, $5-$25, and low draw on the battery. Little late, but LED Christmas lights can be had cheap, and put off enough light to aim for the bowl...

I should have stated "newer" CLF's (as opposed to the old flourescents) But when I learned about the hazardous componenst in a CFL I did wonder if it was a step backwards (is there such a thing as a 2nd world country, I never understand the term 3rd world?) Some parts of the UK are pretty grim, overpopulated and underdeveloped.

In my dream home I would have solar panels that charge banks of batteries (and sell the surplus back to the grid). I would use this free power as much as possible but there would obviously be many times I'd need to use mains AC. Now, I'm a bit green on inverters/converters etc but do know nothing's 100% efficient so what's the best choice?

Oi, mate, don't you chaps call your women guys? You married a guy, what's the beef? ;)

Ist world - developed countries i.e. UK, US, Canada etc.
2nd world - former USSR and eastern block communist states, hence the term as gone out of use since the Soviet collapse.
3rd world - developing countries, e.g. India, Thailand, Kenya etc.

Compact fluorescent lamps are about as efficient as LEDs but are much cheaper. The light output of both LEDs and CFLs decreases as they age but CFLs will be replaced more frequently because they don't last for as long. Glass is the only real hazard posed by CFLs, there's hardly any mercury to worry about.

Traditional fluorescent tubes are still a bit more efficient than LEDs when used with efficient electronic ballasts but this might change as LED technology improves.

That's settled then, I'll stick with my CFL's. I've got some free from the utilities companies (and other sources available) and at £0.99 for 10 in the local discount shop, they won't break the bank.

On the off-topic language subject, it's all good humour and no offence meant. I agree, we've got UK regional dialects even I can't understand so what hope have foreigners?

Last edited:
I stick with phillips products. I have yet to change any of those I fitted in spotlights after 6 years. Try to go for those with apprent tubes rather than the enclosed ones they tend to fare better in my experience.

Hello frog,
Phillips is a screwdriver tip.
Philips make electronic products.

Apparently they make or at least market CFL's under their name now too.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back