Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED fading - 555 timer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have made this: **broken link removed**
The problem is that LED do fade in, but stays on all the time. I want it to fade in (cca 3sec), stay on(1 sec), fade out (3 sec), stay off (1 sec)... Times arent a big deal, just dont want it to go too fast. I want to make a beating hearth of this, with 21 LEDs..

What do i need to change?

If you have a capacitor/resistor based charge/discharge LED driver switch at the output of an astable timer circuit, you have that automatic fade in/fade-out cycle effect I think. Check it out.

Try omitting the connection from pin 7 to transistor base(B) and re-wire a connection from pin 6 to the base. Rest of the connections leave as is. You can experiment with different cap values.

Last edited:
I have everything like on schematics, and it only does fade in, and stays on. It doesnt ever fade out, and repeat the cycle :(

I replaced transistor with a new one 2n2222, and capacitor to 47uF and now it only faster fade in, and also stays on all the time..

Neither the Instructables circuit nor the modification above can provide the repeating fade-in/hold/fade-out/hold sequence you want :(. Additional timing components will be needed. It is the transistor base current in the circuits shown which prevents the capacitor charging sufficiently to reach the 555 threshold to give a repeating sequence with fade-out. Furthermore, putting LEDs directly in parallel as shown is not good practice; each should have a respective series resistor to allow for manufacturing tolerances.

Many intructables were designed by little kids who are only 10 years old. So the circuits DO NOT WORK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back