Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED Effects Roofing

Status
Not open for further replies.

toxsick

I am going to use approx 100 LEDs on the roof of a customer car.

I want to have 3 modes...

1. ALWAYS ON (Door OPEN/FULL BRIGHTNESS)
2. KNIGHT RIDER MODE (Door open FULL BRIGHTNESS/Doorclosed 20-30% Power) 12or 15 lines of Lights pulse
3. STARY NIGHT.. (DOOR OPEN 100% POWER / Door CLOSED 20-30% Power)

1. ALWAYS ON is easy, I got it!!!
2. Knight Rider mode.. EASY, I got a futurekit circuit that is prebuilt with roaming Lights in a line. I will remove the LEDs, replace with transistors to power multiple sets of leds.

I would like to add Fading in and out to that. i can locate many fade circuits online that also is not the problem.
but anyone know how to run a Set of Series LEDS to fade in out very simple.. less parts better! but I guess the 555 is important.

3. Stary Night, Much like the car, The Phantom i think rolls royce. the roof has hundred of Leds that twinkle
(IE: Fade in out & random sets of leds on) (more on then off) random generator of turning off leds momentarily

can anyone help create that? part 3?

P.S. I will possible use 8x 2P4T (4contacts) relays to switch from stary night to night rider.. connecting the Leds to the relays to change voltage path from sets of straight line relays to randomize for stary night

Last edited:
Toxsick, I think you need one of this

LED Dimmer Circuit - Lighting

Find the desired values for P1 (yellow colored in the schematic). Let's call that values R-max and R-dim

If the doors are open, R-max is placed (you know, where P1 is connected now)

If doors are closed, R-dim is placed

That's it! It's even powered by 12 volts

ps: The fading thing is made with a big capacitor, but get rid of the dimming issue first

Last edited:
yes!,

I use PWM for my TEC projects... they dont get hot even if control 10+ AMPS...
a PWM Controller would work at dimming all lighting.. coz the output is still same as input volt but flicking very fast... right?

That's right, look at this picture
http://www.reuk.co.uk/OtherImages/on-off-pwm-duty-cycle.gif

Varying the value of P1 you will get full-bright or dimmed light. If you do it right your eyes will not see any annoying flicking, just the lights changing their intensity

Ok. Dimming based on open or closed door is sorted...

what about building something that will make approx 30 channels to randomly blink off quickly to look like a stary night

p.S. thanks for the idea

Last edited:
Ok. Dimming based on open or closed door is sorted... what about building something that will make approx 30 channels to randomly blink off quickly to look like a stary night

Combined with the desired dimming and fading effects, now I think you need a Microcontroller to do that. That's way beyond my knowedge, but there is a lot of expert people on this forum. Just wait some hours

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back