Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED display on a large scale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alek

Ohai !

Just considering the idea about making a large LED display with dimensions of : 2m x 70cm. I have 2 ideas, one with using 5mm leds and the other using 10mm leds with 1mm spacing between them.

I have this schematic with driving 64 LEDs using shift registers that can be used in a cascade model. My question is, can I control text and images on the display using this method ? The whole panel will be controlled by a PIC16F877 (or similar). Also will there be a chance to animate the display without a *ghost effect* while multiplexing the little displays on the big one ?

I calculated that I will have 9 rows, each row with 20 little boards with 64 LEDs on it for the 10mm leds and 12 rows with 36 boards of 64 leds for the 5 mm LEDs.

I plan to use a different output of the PIC for controlling the STROBE line on each row - 12 pins for the 5mm led model and 9 for the 10mm led model.

Here is the schematic that I was talking about above :

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back