Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED Dimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tradinup

I'm trying to vary the voltage (6v - 10v) on several leds (about 13 watts). I've used an LM338T with 150 ohm R1 and a 5K linear pot R2. The power supply is 12vdc 5 amp.

Under no load the regulator does exactly as I want (0v - to 10.5v), however when I connect the load the max voltage drops to about 5.5v. No heat generated, chip is cool and resistors are cool.

How did I mess this up?

You can't drive LEDs from a voltage source, you have to drive them from a current source. They are clamping the output of your voltage regulator.

So could I use the 338 as a current regulator to do the job?
Its is on page 12 of the datasheet. They call it a Precision Current Limiter but it is actually an adjustable current regulator.

Page 13 of this data sheet. Just remember that R1 in the drawing is going to be a low value high wattage resistor, you can't use a small .5 watt pot if you plan to draw much current.

Ron

I'm trying to vary the voltage (6v - 10v) on several leds (about 13 watts). I've used an LM338T with 150 ohm R1 and a 5K linear pot R2. The power supply is 12vdc 5 amp.

Under no load the regulator does exactly as I want (0v - to 10.5v), however when I connect the load the max voltage drops to about 5.5v. No heat generated, chip is cool and resistors are cool.

How did I mess this up?

Sir, kindly post the schematic of your design so I can also learn the application of LM338T. I'm just a newbie who wants to bridge the gap between theories they teach in school and application. Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back