Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Led constant current switching

Status
Not open for further replies.
20150315_154744.jpg
Hello. Here I have attached an image. The image mainly contain the constant current driver circuit for 10 w led. Now I want to switch it on and off (not PWM). I am considering to connect an npn transistor which is shown in dotted box to switch on and off. The first arrow point at the cathode terminals of the diode. Whenever this point gives zero then only the Led should turn on. O/w off. Am I going right or I will burn any other components. Plz guide me and give lil bit explaination of the working. Thank you. The Input is 12V.

Should work.

Note the Led current vs input voltage at various temperatures:

175.jpg

Note the heat-sinking requirements for the NFET:

175a.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good to me. The MOSFET will need a heat sink.
How many volts will be across the LED? Probably 3V 3A.
The top of the LED is at 12V. The bottom of the LED is at 9V.
There will be 0.7V across R2. (lets say 1V so the math is easy)
This puts 8V across the MOSFET. 8V x 3A = HOT.

Just for fun lets drive two 10W LEDs in series.
So now there is not 3V but 6V across the LEDs.
The MOSFET voltage will be only 5V.
5V x 3A = HOT but better.

Lets try 3 LEDs.
LED voltage = 9V (more or less, varies with voltage,)
MOSFET voltage will be about 2V.
2V x 3A = 6w Ok that is also hot but better yet.

LED will need an old suitable CPU heatsink

For better efficiency and likely no required heat sinking for the regulator, you could use a constant-current output buck switching regulator.

Last edited:
Duplicate deleted.

Led fwd vtg is 9-10V and current 1A. I have found this constant current circuit from a blog. Without the transistor in the dotted box. My question was Can I switch this led by adding that "dotted box transistor". Will this affect the const current circuit or whole circuit will overcurrent the led.

Led fwd vtg is 9-10V and current 1A.

I'm really curious as to which LED you have choosen. Post a link to its data sheet.

I have found this constant current circuit from a blog. Without the transistor in the dotted box. My question was Can I switch this led by adding that "dotted box transistor". Will this affect the const current circuit or whole circuit will overcurrent the led.
What about the simulation I posted in #2 did you not understand?

I got the led from a local shop and have measured fwd vtg by myself. I don't have its datasheet.
And no I didn't understand the simulation. Sorry for that. Can you plz explain.

For your turn off transistor to work you should add a resistor from it's base to ground. maybe 10k. But there may be other problems with the circuit depending on the other parts you are using - the FET for example may not have enough voltage to get to 1 amp. So maybe you can add the rest of the values???

And no I didn't understand the simulation. Sorry for that. Can you plz explain.

V2 in the simulation of Post #2 represents your control signal, presumably coming from a micro (Arduino?) port pin. It is the independent variable of the simulation. We are curious at what voltage from V2 does the LED turn on/off. V(V2) is plotted along the x-axis of the plot and in the simulation goes from 0V (logic zero) to 5V (logic one). The current through the LED I(D1) is plotted on the y-axis, so you can read the LED current for every input voltage V(V2).

As I set up the circuit, the added transistor Q2 turns on when V(v2) is about 2.5V (about halfway between a logic zero and a logic one). You can have multiple inputs creating a diode or-gate by connecting the cathode of the added diode to the cathode of the existing D2.

I am also showing the effect of rising temperature on the current through D1 (the LED). Note that the current decreases at elevated temperatures, meaning that the LED is somewhat protected from thermal runaway due to self-heating. Note that this LED MUST be bolted to a large heatsink, as it will be dissipating a lot of heat. So will the NFET M1.

Actually v2 is o/p from lm358 comparator which will be using same supply vtg. 12-14 v. It is used here to detect low battery and light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back