Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED binary counter

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello i am looking for an IC that has a number of outputs that i can do binary numbers. i was looking for anything from 4 LEDs to ten. i did it with a 555 and a 4017 decade counter and i could count to 7 then it got to messy with all of the diodes.any ideas? i dont want to use a micro controller and i know it will be a hell of a lot easer to use a micro controller but i would like to stick to this first.

You could try a 74LS90 or 74LS192. They are binary decade counters and you only have deal with 4 LEDs.

hello i am looking for an IC that has a number of outputs that i can do binary numbers. i was looking for anything from 4 LEDs to ten. i did it with a 555 and a 4017 decade counter and i could count to 7 then it got to messy with all of the diodes.any ideas? i dont want to use a micro controller and i know it will be a hell of a lot easer to use a micro controller but i would like to stick to this first.

See the attachments for two methods of studying binary via the use of LEDs. The 74xx74 as a ring counter is especially good. With either, you can count 0 to 15 in binary, and get a good start on understanding the math behind PICs when you want to step up.

Good luck

Attachments

• Binary Counter.PNG
    Binary Counter.PNG
    15.1 KB · Views: 418
  • DualD.JPG
    DualD.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 324
See the attachments for two methods of studying binary via the use of LEDs. The 74xx74 as a ring counter is especially good. With either, you can count 0 to 15 in binary, and get a good start on understanding the math behind PICs when you want to step up.

Good luck

I'm afraid this is already one Bit too much for him. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back