Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

learning to make your own circuits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s0rtd

Just wondering if anyone knows a good website which will teach you about how circuits work? What i need to learn is how to make my own circuits...
I want to know when to put a capacitor infront of a transistor etc... and how to calculate their corresponding values?

any ideas?

cheers
Jurgen

I would recommend getting some beginners books on electronics. It's nice to have all the information in one source instead of searching the internet. You will just have to learn what each component does and then you can start piecing things together.

Also, once you figure out what each component does, start looking at simple circuits and try to figure out how they work, perhaps even posting them and asking for an explanation here.

you could make your own circuit yourself through a painstaking study of other people's circuits, and understanding thoroughly what the components do. as 'zach' has said it's best to get a textbook on electronics instead of just roaming the internet.

as regards putting a capacitor in 'front' of a transistor that should be for coupling purposes, when you want to remove the dc component of a signal. you don't want to feed your loudspeaker with DC do you? as regards the values the smaller the capacitance the greater the resistance to dc, values of 4.7uf and 10uf are typical.

cheers guys... I have done electronics in high school for about 3 years, so i know a fair amount of the theory... and have build a fair few small fm transmitters. But have never learnt exaclty when to put a component in its place - I dont really know what effect it will have on the circuit. I guess its that sort of stuff i need to learn.

back to the reading :)

s0rtd said:
But have never learnt exaclty when to put a component in its place - I dont really know what effect it will have on the circuit. I guess its that sort of stuff i need to learn.

back to the reading :)

The same goes with me my friend, I have a very big problem with practical matter......may be we can share ideas about improving ourselves in that stuff!

Anyway you loss nothing if you open this link:

www.kpsec.freeuk.com

s0rtd said:
Just wondering if anyone knows a good website which will teach you about how circuits work? What i need to learn is how to make my own circuits...
I want to know when to put a capacitor infront of a transistor etc... and how to calculate their corresponding values?

any ideas?

cheers
Jurgen

I start from failure and experimentation. First, I build a circuit with a few transistors, capacitors and resistors, and I take it out of a book.

Then I try to mix and match components to get the best results (no thanks to a book here).

and look what I am doing now.. taking a transistor superregen from Rick Andersens website, and turning it into a decent radio. Hey, it might not be the best quality piece out there, and it may be "substandard" to some users, but if it works, that is what counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back