Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LEARNING ASSEMBLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

hello there. so i beleive I have the basic conceps of a pic and raly need to get going onto something practical. so i need to know
1. what is the best PIC to start with for some basic practical work
2. where do i go to learn assembly. i know no programming languages (done so crap in school on turbo pascal but mostly forgoten it - i did start to look at basic but left it) so i might as well start from the bottom and most efficient assembly.
3. I understand that PIC is specifically the microcontrollers made by microcip so it is a tradmark not a type of chip. what other options are there ?
4. does each pic/microcontroller have many differences to be taken into account when programming one or another and how do i get this information. is assembly the same for each pic

I am using microchips mplab ide any suggestions with this are of help as well. is it what i need ?

Thank you to anyone that will help me get going

Thunderchild said:
hello there. so i beleive I have the basic conceps of a pic and raly need to get going onto something practical. so i need to know
1. what is the best PIC to start with for some basic practical work
2. where do i go to learn assembly. i know no programming languages (done so crap in school on turbo pascal but mostly forgoten it - i did start to look at basic but left it) so i might as well start from the bottom and most efficient assembly.
3. I understand that PIC is specifically the microcontrollers made by microcip so it is a tradmark not a type of chip. what other options are there ?
4. does each pic/microcontroller have many differences to be taken into account when programming one or another and how do i get this information. is assembly the same for each pic

I am using microchips mplab ide any suggestions with this are of help as well. is it what i need ?

I suggest you try my tutorials, and for a more basic begining, try the online book at **broken link removed**.

there are lots of microcontrollers. (PIC, zilog, etc). Zilog for example is also programmed in assymbly language. But the difference is thier design and pin config of course. Features are also different such that zilog is 1 time programmable while PIC offers 1M times. (though there are also 1 time programmable PICs).

Don't forget AVRs!! AVR assembly is pretty easy to work with because of the 32 byte register file layout, small to mid size programs can be made using only the register file without SRAM for some very high speed programs, plus the I/O lines can be toggled at clock speed for incredible I/O performance. The PLL'd timer module version of the AVR can natively output PWM signals at 50% duty cycle at close to greater than 30mhz. For straight from the ground up learning of how a high performance assembly system can be easy to program and fast, it's hard to beat AVRs for ease of learning and power.

Last edited:
Hi
Gooligum Electronics

Yes Mr.Gayan that is very nice tutorial full of CCS PCB and HiTech picc examples

**broken link removed**
is nice basic tutorial about assembly for pic :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back