Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Learning about TFT LCDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I'm looking at getting lots of different sized TFT LCDs to then connect them up to my computer and run them as separate monitors. Question is, given the differences in size, is there a 1 size fits all type board which will be capable of driving LCDs of various sizes? My understanding is that different sized monitors require different amount of information to flow to them, but that means as far as I understand, you require ever increasing hardware requirements, so my guess is that a driver board that can drive an 11 LCD can also drive a 2"? Not sure which sizes I'll be getting but I think a range of 2" to 11" isn't too far of.

I'm mainly looking for boards which are already fabricated which can do the said task, not looking at making my own. In terms of interfacing, well not sure. Would a USB board provide enough bits to drive an LCD at say 25+hz? But yer, overall, for the moment at least, I'm pretty open in terms of means of connecting them up to the computer.

Last edited:
The driver electronics is determined by the number of pixels (resolution) in the display. If the different size displays have a different number of pixels, then the electronics will also need to be different. And if you are trying to drive two different resolution displays then the electronics must be able to down convert from the highest resolution to a lower resolution since the computer can only output one resolution. All-in-all it sounds like a rather complex problem.

I'm trying to re-purpose TFT backlights. All I need is to fire the ccfls upon application of VIN. Do I momentary the ENA to VIN? or to grd? same for adj?

The driver electronics is determined by the number of pixels (resolution) in the display. If the different size displays have a different number of pixels, then the electronics will also need to be different. And if you are trying to drive two different resolution displays then the electronics must be able to down convert from the highest resolution to a lower resolution since the computer can only output one resolution. All-in-all it sounds like a rather complex problem.

Thanks, much appreciated. When you say the computer can only output 1 resolution, is that definitely correct? What about multi monitor setups? Isn't it possible to connect differently sized monitors to 1 computer? Or did you mean the on driver board components driving the LCD as being the computer?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back