Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lead-Acid Trickle Charger with added features

Status
Not open for further replies.

iONic

Hello all,
I am trying to build a 12V Lead-Acid Trickle Charger, but with some added features.
I'd like a green power on LED and an LED way to monitor the Current drawn.

For example: 1 LED for 20mA, 2 LED's for 40mA, 3 LED's for 80mA, 4 LED's for 160mA, and 5 LED's for 320mA or higher. Actually it might be better to only have 1 of 5 LED's on at any given time.

Attachments

• Wall-Wart Trickle Chargers2.png
    Wall-Wart Trickle Chargers2.png
    7 KB · Views: 271
hi,
For the current LED indicator I would suggest a low value resistor in the low side of the charger rail.
An opa across the resistor, the output of the opa driving a LM3914 and LEDs, either in dot/bar mode.

Do you need a hand with the design?

EDIT: this could one way to do it.:)

Last edited:
ericgibbs said:
hi,
For the current LED indicator I would suggest a low value resistor in the low side of the charger rail.
An opa across the resistor, the output of the opa driving a LM3914 and LEDs, either in dot/bar mode.

I had thought about the LM3914 as a posible solution so this could work out nice. Thanks for the schematic and your efforts!

Would this affect the voltage requirments from the transformer(Wall-Wart)??

iONic said:
Would this affect the voltage requirments from the transformer(Wall-Wart)??
hi,
If you allow about 10mA/LED that should cover the major part of the extra current required.
I would estimate that if the existing wall wart is say, 500/100mA, it should be OK.

You could set the LM3914 for 'dot' mode, thats one LED at 10mA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back