Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD with Center Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

ks2k

I have a 3.5" x 5.0" LCD on my GPS. There is a circle of about 2.0" diameter in the center of the display that is blank, no data displays. Everything outside this circle appears normal.

What caused a blank circle like this and can it be repaired in any way.

Thank You
KS2K

Probably a crack in the display, no it's not repairable, you'd have to replace the entire display.

Sceadwian said:
Probably a crack in the display, no it's not repairable, you'd have to replace the entire display.

Ok, Thank You.

One more question since this display is not repairable. I have a spare unit that has a display that is weak. The Numbers/letters are weak with little contrast. Is this a display or display driver problem. If a driver problem, then I could swap the actual LDC.

Thank You
KS2K

Have you looked at the software settings?

The chances are all you need to do is tweak a setting to adjust the contrast.

Hero999 said:
Have you looked at the software settings?

The chances are all you need to do is tweak a setting to adjust the contrast.

I does respond to the software brighteness and contrast, but now where near enough to amke it a good display. Thats why I wonder about a driver component failure ?

KS2K

Sounds like a real quality product =)
Most (any that I've heard of) LCD failure modes simply result in the display ceasing to function. Then again it depends on of the LCD is a module or just a simple display. If it's a module the driver is on the board with the LCD which means putting it in the non-functioning LCD's unit will result in the same dim display. If it's truly just an LCD unit with connections to a driver board inside the unit then swapping out the display may work, unless it's really a faulty display driver problem in which case you're pretty much out of luck. If it's not too difficult try swapping them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back