Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD Text File Display --- "Electronic Book"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info. I will definitely be going with one of those less expensive LCDs. At first I figured I could get 1mb of EEPROM really easily/cheaply, so I didn't mind the more expensive LCDs. However, it looks like the storage medium will cost some extra money now. I also gave some thought to graphical LCDs but considering my newb-ness, I figured simpler programming(ha) is better. I must admit, though, a large screen would be really cool, as it would feel more like a "virtual notepad" you were reading and less like a 1980s hand-held game. Either way, though, I think it will be cool, and I will always be able to modify it later. That is, if I ever figure out how exactly I should go about the memory aspect of the project.

-Joe

joe_e said:
Thanks again for the info, Exo.

I stumbled across this site http://www.compsys1.com/workbench/On_top_of_the_Bench/MMC_Project/mmc_project.html. It offers SD(Secure Digital) card and MMC(MultiMedia Card) support via serial interface with a PIC. It seems as though this could be the answer to my problem.

While I could pay ~$60 for the MMC/SD developer's kit, which includes "a PIC16F876, a Max233 (or equiv), an LM2937 3.3v regulator, SMD resistors, a 10Mhz resonator and a FM24CL64 FRAM plus the DB9 connector, SD and IC sockets, reset switch", would it also be possible for me to simply buy the MMC pcb and socket and simply interface it with my own PIC and LCD? Because I would not be writing to the MMC/SD storage with the device directly(for simplicity's sake, I'd format and write to it via the PC), would that also mean that I would not need any external EEPROM? Just the MMC socket/PCB + PIC + LCD? The vendor also supplies demo source code for the PIC, though I believe he charges for code to interface with Fat 16 format MMC.

A similar device made by Rogue Robotics can be found here: **broken link removed**.

This sounds too good to be true, and I am not holding my breath. Would anyone kindly offer an opinion on this product, please? If this would be feasible, I would like to persue it.

Thanks yet again,
-Joe

Yes, you could of course use those.
Or at least use them to study pic code required to use secure digital cards and then incorporate secure digital on your own PCB...

It's just my opinion that it will cost you much more then the parallel eeprom's. It will be bigger of course, up to 1GB, but then again, what's the use of 1GB text? It's like buying a harddrive while a floppy will do...

It's your choice to make, if you do have the money to spend, then buying such a secure digital demo board would be nice to learn things on (if they supply source code with it of course)

mhh

when i focus in on the board i see a Atmel mega chip and a memory chip i think..(parallel one..???)

i think you can buy that kit and from their devolop your own...

but you might not require those 60dollars..

i use Compact Flash card..

their are biogger but work just like a HDD..

and theirs plenty info arround them on the internet..

TKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back