Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD powered by 9V battery need current limiting resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I've checked the spec sheets, it says the led bacjk light typically uses 240ma. So I used a 18ohm resistor to supply 5V. It also said the lcd itself only uses max of 3ma. Can I still use the same supply or would I have limit to 3ma?

Also is there a calculation I can make to see how long will my battery last?

Hi
I've checked the spec sheets, it says the led bacjk light typically uses 240ma. So I used a 18ohm resistor to supply 5V. It also said the lcd itself only uses max of 3ma. Can I still use the same supply or would I have limit to 3ma?

Also is there a calculation I can make to see how long will my battery last?

hi,
Typically the LCD requires a 5V supply.
Whats the type of LCD and battery.??

Go to a battery manufacturer like Energizer or Duracell and look at the datasheet for a 9V alkaline battery. With a 250mA load its voltage drops to 7V in about 20 minutes so with 240mA it would last about 21 minutes.
When the battery voltage is as low as 7V then an ordinary 5V regulator will begin to have poor voltage regulation.

Attachments

• 9V alkaline, 250mA load.PNG
    9V alkaline, 250mA load.PNG
    7.6 KB · Views: 148
Yeah it's upt 7 volts according to the spec.
It's PP3 battery (the rectangular 9v ones). It's an ST7066 LCD. Compatible with hd44870.
Fordata | Optoelectronics and Displays | Displays | LCD Displays - Alphanumeric | Alphanumeric |FDCC2004B-RNNYBW-66SE
I'm also going to power an avr Atmega16pu for the usb interface

My ST7066 d/s says +2.7v to +5.5v for the LCD Vcc

I guess you realise that the LED back light on a alpha numeric display is not essential for daylight viewing.???

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back