Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD Monitor Power Supply - Capacitor question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aglasser

I have a Viewsonic vp211b flat panel display that's roughly 10 years old (it's still an awesome monitor.) The power supply is an internal Delta ADP-60BF.

The other day it completely shut off. No picture, no power indicator led. Nada. I had to unplug it, wait 2 minutes or so and then plug it back in for it to work for another 45 minutes or so. At which point I would have to repeat the process.

After getting tired of it, I opened the thing up and took the power supply board out thinking it was a thermal/overheating issue. I noticed one of the 3 capacitors was bulging at the top. I figured this is what was causing this thing to overheat and turn off ever hour or so.

The question is, would a blown capacitor cause this behavior? Nothing else "looks" bad on the PS board.

Simply put, yes it could cause that, may be something else but replacing the cap is a good start.

The question is, would a blown capacitor cause this behavior? Nothing else "looks" bad on the PS board.

Yes it will, faulty electrolytics (actually high ESR) are the most common fault in domestic electronics, and has been for a considerable number of years.

Any which is bulging is 100% faulty and should be replaced, but ones which aren't bulging could be just as faulty - an essential tool for doing repairs is an ESR meter to test which ones are faulty. Failing that, do a 'blanket change' of them all - make sure to use high quality, 105 degree, low ESR capacitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back