lcd mcu

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

i see alot of pics with lcd built in but what lcd would you use for it? Like they have segments and stuff

ok maybe i should explain better lol

This is the PIC: PIC16F946

What LCD would one use? How and where to get it. Those are my questions.

ok maybe i should explain better lol

This is the PIC: PIC16F946

What LCD would one use? How and where to get it. Those are my questions.
Those are made to drive LCD glass directly. You can buy LCD displays without a controller very cheaply (for instance). They have to be driven in a very precise way or they won't work and can actually be damaged (I think). MCUs with LCD control do that without you having to do all the work yourself.

I have a couple displays I've been meaning to play with. There's one in this picture:
**broken link removed**
Was going to do all the timing and AC output myself. Since then I bought a PIC 16F917 that has LCD capability, but still haven't got around to doing it.

Last edited:
Also, have not got around to hooking up the bare glass displays. After seeing one of Blueroom's project's, was going to hookup to an idle 16f917 debug board. This 4 digit Lumex model does static or 1/2 bias, so seemed do-able with the 16f917 in the 1/2 bias mode. Varitronix is another major manufacturer.

A while back Bill got me interested in trying a bare glass LCD. In December I ordered the LCD but was shipped the wrong display.

Last edited:
oh i didnt notice the right side of datasheet. It is DIP lol thanks.

Where would one go to create custom LCDs. I know that has to cost alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…