Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD interface with PIC16F877

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanti2011

Hi,
I am also facing the problem as Dileep had.I have used assembly code to program PIC16F877 which am attaching. When the power is on,lcd is showing black boxes in the 1st line.

1.Lcd 4-6 pins are connected to pin 2-4 of portc(Pc2-RS,Pc3-R/W,Pc4-EN)
2. Lcd 7-14 pins are connected to pin 0-7 of portd(data lines)
3. Lcd 1-3 pins are connected to potentiometer.
Regards,
Moumita

Attachments

• Hi.doc
    25 KB · Views: 454
posting a schematic of your circuit and LCD datasheet would be helpful to debug your pin configuration.

Hi,
I am also facing the problem as Dileep had.I have used assembly code to program PIC16F877 which am attaching. When the power is on,lcd is showing black boxes in the 1st line.

1.Lcd 4-6 pins are connected to pin 2-4 of portc(Pc2-RS,Pc3-R/W,Pc4-EN)
2. Lcd 7-14 pins are connected to pin 0-7 of portd(data lines)
3. Lcd 1-3 pins are connected to potentiometer.
Regards,
Moumita

hi,
Your program is not intialising the LCD.:)

Also when you Post code, paste it into the Reply box, select ALL the code and the click the '#' sign in the above Menu
This will retain the text formatting.

Look here for LCD programming tutorial

Last edited:
hi,
Your program is not intialising the LCD.:)

Also when you Post code, paste it into the Reply box, select ALL the code and the click the '#' sign in the above Menu
This will retain the text formatting.

Look here for LCD programming tutorial

I should get back into assembly, PIC Basic Pro is just numbing my brain. :(

Last edited:
PIC Basic Pro basically utilizes an ASM linker, right? My 16F877 projects always end up running out of memory.

Seems odd to me since I was used to 68HC12, and programming in asm.

This is probably mostly due to the inefficiency of PBP, am I right?

Last edited:
PIC Basic Pro basically utilizes an ASM linker, right? My 16F877 projects always end up running out of memory.

Seems odd to me since I was used to 68HC12, and programming in asm.

This is probably mostly due to the inefficiency of PBP, am I right?

This can happen with the code that some Basic compilers create, slow and big.

When writing with asm its possible to create fast, compact code.

There are some Basic compilers that will accept/compile assembler instructions contained within the Basic statements, many Basic compiler also create an assembler listing which can be studied and run in MPLAB

Oshon Software Homepage have a 28day or 30 startup trial simulators for the 16F and 18F PICs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back