Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD Driver Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_f_kewl

Hi,
Im just new to this forum so i dont know if this is the right section but anyway, i have a DVD player in my car, its a JVC kd-dv6105 and it has a detachable face, i have seen people solder wires on to the back of the face and on the front of the head unit and extend the face(where all the buttons and lcd screen is) to the top of the dash and hide the actual unit away,(a have a stacker so i dont need to get to this unit) so when i attempted this all the buttons worked and illumination but the lcd did not display and writing, it was all lit up but nothing.

i know that the CPU inside sends high speed data through the 'DATA' wire from the unit into the face so i used insanely good shielded wire for the 3 lcd wires but still, nothing! i then cut the lcd wires and shortened them so it was about a meter long from the face to the unit and the same, nothing. I then soldered all the wires and brought it back to original and fired it up and it was 100% working.

im still learning about data circuits and stuff so im assuming i need a amplifier or something to amplify the data signal to make it do a long run, id really like to do this so i can learn how data is sent along this wire and why it didnt work when i did it, if you guys know anything it would be gladly appreciated.

I downloaded a schematic diagram of the head unit so i know what all the chips are and what wires are what, ill post them on here with this thread,ive probably missed or left out a whole lot of stuff or dont understand what i meant let me know and ill get straight back to you.

thanks again in advance.

Attachments

• Main board.jpg
    Main board.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 177
  • Face board.jpg
    Face board.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 150
It may be that the extra capacitance of the extended cable is degrading the signal (especially since shielding significantly increases the wire capacitance). You might try reducing the value of the 10kΩ resistors in series with the CE, CLK, and DATA to perhaps somewhere between 1kΩ - 5kΩ and see if that helps. (For test purposes you can just tack the resistors in parallel across the 10k ones).

Edit: You might also test it with unshielded wire to see if that works.

Last edited:
hey
i tried using twisted cat cable this time and i got a 5k then a 1k and still no luck, i was thinking about a data extender today and i was looking on the net for about 3 hours and i came across a data bus extender IC, ill post a pic but could it work? like i dont know how the data talks to the display chip all i know it uses 1's and 0's to talk to it.

let me know what youse think it was just a hunch.

Attachments

• data clk bus extender.jpg
    data clk bus extender.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 126
Do you have access to an oscilloscope so you can look at the signals?

i know a person with one, would that be the best way?
Well, since it seems to be related to a degradation of the signal, you could look at the signals using the oscilloscope, with and without the added wires to see the difference. That should help determine what the problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back