Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD displays - non-character based

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan East

I am considering using a non-character based LCD display for a future project. After searching these forums and the net it seems that there isn't a common standard for these types of displays, and the data sheets I've looked at contain very little information.

For example, Mouser lists an Optrex panel that is 128x64 pixels, transflective with a white LED backlight for $27.99. Not a bad looking panel for the price. Well, the **broken link removed** doesn't make the first mention of the communication protocol. It only contains specifications, and says nothing at all about commands, data transfer, etc.

So how in the world are people to make use of these things if the necessary information is not available? Do these displays have a buffer? Specifically, once the bitmap is transferred to the display will it continue to display it until it new data is uploaded, or must it be continually refreshed at some minimum frequency to keep the display from flickering?

Now I could make use of a character based display, but only if there are no gaps between characters. I could simply define custom characters for my bitmaps, but that would not have the desired affect if the pixels are not continuous across the display. All of the panels I have looked at have those gaps. Anyone know of one that is character based with continuous pixels?

Thanks.

Dan East

All the character displays I know of have gaps.
Also there are only a limited number of "custom" characters you can program at a given time, so drawing an arbitrary picture may not be possible.

The controllers are the standard. You do NOT want an LCD without a controller (it would be a lot of additional complexity to add on your own controller). T6963C is the most common, SED1330 is another common one.

Hi Dan,

I thought the little 1.5" display on this page was interesting but never quite found the $55 to order one (grin);

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

I scrolled through both pages of their LCD category and I also typed "LCD101" into their search field and neither produced the product...

Check this attachment.

Attachments

• lcd-101.jpg
    lcd-101.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 719
Found it... Sorry... Don't know how I missed it the first time... Looks like a rather nice display for the money, BUT, it's not backlit and it's not color...

Regards, Mike

Re: RAM of the LCD driver LSI will answer your question ---

playpolo said:
Am I a hero ?
yep ya legend in ya own lunchbox :twisted:

Mike said:
Hi Dan,

I thought the little 1.5" display on this page was interesting but never quite found the $55 to order one (grin);

That looks like a handy little display - the type of hardware that begs to be utilized in a slick project. However it won't suite my current project. It is not large enough, and doesn't appear to be transflective, so it wouldn't be visible under direct sunlight.

heida11, that's also a nice looking display, especially for the cost. However I require a backlight, and a slightly smaller display.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Dan East

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back