Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD Display Terminology

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiTan

I recently did a digikey part search for character displays, and in their part filter they offer 3 LCD model types:

* Reflective
* Transflexive
* Transmissive

What exactly does this mean? I'm guessing it has something to do with the screens reflectivity. Perhaps it also affects the viewing angles? Additionally, I've found out that most of the displays I already have are "transflexive". What are the properties for these display types?

DigiTan said:
I recently did a digikey part search for character displays, and in their part filter they offer 3 LCD model types:

* Reflective
* Transflexive
* Transmissive

What exactly does this mean? I'm guessing it has something to do with the screens reflectivity. Perhaps it also affects the viewing angles? Additionally, I've found out that most of the displays I already have are "transflexive". What are the properties for these display types?

Reflective LCD's usually have a backing made of aluminum foil so that they work with available, reflected light only - they can't be backlit (illuminated from the rear).

"Transflexives" (I've heard them called "Transflective") have a backing which is made of some type of material which is somewhat reflective and can also transmit some light through it [translucent], therefore they can used with the available reflected light or they can be backlit.

Transmissives are usually clear, they have no backing, so that they can't use available, reflected light. They have to be backlit to be able to see the info being displayed.

In test equipment, digital watches, etc., I usually see transflective LCD's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back