Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD display question... Refresh rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbu

Does an LCD character display need to be constantly refreshed when something is displayed or it will it hold visible what was displayed until it is either cleared or power shut off?

For example, let’s say I display the words “Hello World”. Will I have to program that in a loop so it is refreshed every so many mSeconds or will the words stay visible until I clear the display? If it needs to be refreshed, what is a good refresh rate so the viewer doesn’t see a flicker?

Thanks…

Simply NO

no you dont have,,,,
cause it has internal control unit takes care of refreshing....
just send your data in ASCII code..

raedbenz is right.

The LCD will change message only if the power is removed, or you input another message after clearing the screen.

One thing people forget about these displays is they do have at least a little bit of charactor generator ram, so they can actually be used for simple bit mapped graphics and animation.

sure, as long as we all know the difference between lcd and lcd module.. an lcd would need a constant refreshing, and that's what module does, i think it even keeps every pixel energized

ikalogic said:
sure, as long as we all know the difference between lcd and lcd module.. an lcd would need a constant refreshing, and that's what module does, i think it even keeps every pixel energized

ikalogic,

...so a lcd module is one that comes with its own controller?

Last edited:
Yes the term 'module' usually implies built in control circuitry. With LCD charactor displays, they all pretty much have the same controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back