LCD degree symbol with sprintf (BoostC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

futz

Dumb question I'm sure, but how do I display a degree symbol ($df) on my LCD? I format my output with sprintf.
Code:
sprintf(string,"Temp: %u°C",an2);
That degree symbol in there was copied/pasted in. The LCD displays a hyphen (minus sign).

Last edited:
It's 223 decimal on a typical LCD.
Yes, $df = 223. That's why I mentioned it in my op. But I can't figure out how to get it displayed with sprintf. Sourceboost's sprintf is a little bit non-standard, and their docs on it aren't very thorough.

In assembler it would be very simple.

Last edited:
ASCII degree symbol is 248, can you type <alt> 0223 in the quotes?
It is? Thank you. I'll make a note!
EDIT: Whoops! 248 ($f8) does not work. I get a lowercase x with an "overscore" above it.

I fumbled on a way to do it. Had to split the line up into three separate outputs, but it works now.
Code:
		sprintf(string,"Temp: %u",an2);
		lcd_string(string);
		sprintf(string,"\xdf",0);
		lcd_string(string);
		sprintf(string,"C",0);
		lcd_string(string);

Last edited:

Got it down to two sends
Code:
		sprintf(string,"Temp: %u\xdf",an2);
		lcd_string(string);
		sprintf(string,"C",0);
		lcd_string(string);

Last edited:
You must type <alt> 223 on the number pad if I recall. Sometimes you need the leading zero. I've not used the method for ages.

PS I see on your site you've got one of dipmicros ICD2 clones, I wonder how Roman's going to make it 3.3V as it looks about the same as the Inchworm.

On a sidenote you can simply connect the Inchworm+ or Junebug to any 3.3V PIC as long as it has it's own 3.3V power supply and the PGC / PGD pins don't have analog.

Last edited:
223 is correct but with the alt method I think it depends on the font in windows. I know in windows you do need the leading zero, but they made a mess of the good old ascii table.lol I can use a 0176 to make this -->° Did I ever tell you I hate windows?..lol

-BaC

You must type <alt> 223 on the number pad if I recall. Sometimes you need the leading zero. I've not used the method for ages.

That works. Now it fits all on one line again. Excellent!
Code:
		sprintf(string,"Temp: %u\223C",an2);

The 223 is strictly for the LCD, it'll show up as who knows what in XP but the LCD should be happy.

Edit: glad it's working futz, plenty of smart folks hang around here. Nicely done BaCarDi

Last edited:
OOps I deleted this by mistake!..lmao
I'll put it back to make sense of your post futz, glad it worked out

-----------------------------------------------------------
I original said:

I just looked through the manual a bit does this work?
Code:
sprintf(string,"Temp: %u\223",an2);
I see \x is for hex and df is 223 in decimal, so I think the escape code is the \ and in the manual it says \xnn for hex and \nn for decimal so maybe it's just sprintf(string,"Temp: \223",an2); just curious now. lol

Last edited:
Yes but if your in windows trying the alt method that is exactly what you would get

Cheers Blue

-BaC

The 223 is strictly for the LCD, it'll show up as who knows what in XP but the LCD should be happy.

Edit: glad it's working futz, plenty of smart folks hang around here. Nicely done BaCarDi

Last edited:
PS I see on your site you've got one of dipmicros ICD2 clones, I wonder how Roman's going to make it 3.3V as it looks about the same as the Inchworm.
**broken link removed**. He's not exactly speeding ahead with the project as he has a PICkit 2 clone for sale now (and so doesn't really need the Stella anymore) and is very busy with other things.

OK now I am really curious, I'll bite and click the link..hehe

Ahhh I remember these days, now I will have to read up for a while..lol

EDIT:
Ok now I need to start using c again too...lol Damn that learning curve!
I really like that 2-wire LCD interface!

-BaC

Last edited:
I will say Stella looks familiar

As for the two wire LCD interface I had a SPI + 2 wire (4 wires) that I was going to use in a future kit design. I tied RW to gnd but used the 8 bit mode and standard mode 1 SPI . The E line was CS and RS was the other wire.

Ok now I need to start using c again too...lol Damn that learning curve!
Ya, I swore off C many years ago. Went back to assembler and wouldn't touch C. I remembered hating it. Then the dsPIC kind of forced me to get back into C programming and I realized I didn't hate it as much as I had remembered. Lately I'm doing nothing but C.

I really like that 2-wire LCD interface!
Me too. Think I'll build a board or two with 2-wire LCD circuits that I can plug into any PIC board or breadboard I'm using when I want a quick, easy LCD.

Very nice, I am too much a beginner to design anything nifty yet, hope to be their soon. Just a hobby as of now, but never know.

Maybe I will have to switch to that C complier, I am using ME's Pascal version right now, just because programed in pascal for a while so easier transition for me atm. I do allot in Linux in C of course mostly old school hacking, aka patching code..lol I also have their EasyPIC 5 board, and I like it allot, but as a company I think they are on the wrong track for the long haul. We'll see

-BaC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…