Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD Backlight Control : Some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urahara

Hi

Am trying to control the backlight of a 20x2 LCD character module with a PIC pin. The main purpose behind it is to conserve battery power, with the PIC switching the backlight off before going to sleep after a period of inactivity.

Have googled and found something like this as attached. My questions :

1) Is this how this works :
- During normal activity, I will output a "1" to pin C2 to turn on the LCD backlight.
- I don't have to output a "0" to pin C2 to turn off the backlight since the PIC will effectively not output anything to the pin (hence a "0") when it goes to sleep. When it wakes up, it goes back to the earlier state (ie a "1") and turns on the backlight. Is this correct?

2) Researching on the net led me to believe a MOSFET would be a better choice? Why? And what would be the (cheaper?) equivalent of the 2N2222 if so?

Your comments appreciated. Thks!

Attachments

• LCD Backlight.jpg
    LCD Backlight.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 262
Hi

Am trying to control the backlight of a 20x2 LCD character module with a PIC pin. The main purpose behind it is to conserve battery power, with the PIC switching the backlight off before going to sleep after a period of inactivity.

Have googled and found something like this as attached. My questions :

1) Is this how this works :
- During normal activity, I will output a "1" to pin C2 to turn on the LCD backlight.
- I don't have to output a "0" to pin C2 to turn off the backlight since the PIC will effectively not output anything to the pin (hence a "0") when it goes to sleep. When it wakes up, it goes back to the earlier state (ie a "1") and turns on the backlight. Is this correct?

2) Researching on the net led me to believe a MOSFET would be a better choice? Why? And what would be the (cheaper?) equivalent of the 2N2222 if so?

Your comments appreciated. Thks!
You cold well use 2n2222 and i fear N Chl MOSFETs like 2N7000 or BS170 would be costly. You may see Digikey prices. The scheme appears correct
that you have to output a '1' for backlit to be ON

thks Sarma! Will check them out.

A near Idea from EDN Nov2000 is appended here. It would of course control the entire supply to the controller. It might help guide your design.

Attachments

• Ideas Nov2000.pdf
    193 KB · Views: 277
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back