Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD anode / cathode connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc88

Hi,

I have a lot of unknown LCD displays (intelligent, HD44780 based), and many of
them have anode (A) and cathode (K) connections. I was wondering generally
how to use them. Are they for a backlight? Do I need to supply a negative
voltage, and if so, what kind of negative power supply do I need?

I've attached a pic of the A and K connections for one of the lcds I have.
The A pad is close to a + supply pad and the K pad is close to a GND pad,
and it seems they are positioned for easy mounting of smd parts.

Thanks,
pc88

Attachments

• DSC08888.JPG
    DSC08888.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 651
hi pc,

Usually on the LCD, is a backmounted LED [Gn] that runs the full length of the display and it fits between the LCD and pcb.

From the pix you have posted, that one has no LED, just the pcb track, if it had one already fitted
two of the round holes would have been used.

The SMT pads are for series current limit resistors for the LED diode light when fitted.

Hi pc88!

Some most character LCD panels the last two pins in the data line array (in your ribbon cable) goes to the LED back light. But it seems like bigger one than other character LCD’s or a different type.

Go following the two tracks A & K & see where it meets.

But LED back light is not the main feature. It’s an additional feature you can replace a backlight with normal 3mm LED’s with a separate 3V supply. Most important is the data lines, contrast adjustment & Vss, Vcc etc….

Most LCD panels can operate in 5V. Give supply through 7805 regulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back