Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD 4 Line 40 Character Interfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwamser

I am trying to get a 4 Line 40 Character LCD Display to display characters but so far have been unable to do so. I have a couple of 2 Line 24 Character displays that I have working but I can't get the 4 line display to display any characters. I have read what little information I have been able to find but it has been of little help. The 4 Line uses 2 of the same controllers that the 2 line display uses ( all lines are common except for the Enable lines. I have set it up on the bench with jumpers and switches. Has anyoneinterfaced to a 4 Line display ??

In my experiment, when the driver chips is same - e.g. HD44780 - i can change the modules without problem.

40 characters in 4 lines , thats 10 char's per line.
I can't find any lcd's like that - i dont think such a HD44780 lcd exists

are you sure it is a HD44780 based lcd?

40 Character 4 line means 40 characters per line and total = 40*4 = 160 characters.

This is same as you describe 16 char. x 2 line LCD. It has 2 lines with 16 characters each.

ok, thanks for clearing that up

LCD's with more then 80 characters use a diffirent pinout then the ones with less then 80 and have 2 enable signals
One enable for the first controller - line 1 & 2
and another for the controller for lines 3 & 4

see http://home.iae.nl/users/pouweha/lcd/lcd.shtml section 2.1

Thanks to all that posted replys. My problem was that I did not have the correct connector pin out. For what is worth 4 Line x 40 Character displays have a 16 pin connector layed out as follows:
PIN # 1 DB7
PIN #2 DB6
PIN #3 DB5
PIN #4 DB4
PIN#5 DB3
PIN#6 DB2
PIN#7 DB1
PIN#8 DB0
PIN#9 Enable #1
PIN#10 R/W
PIN#11 RS
PIN#12 LCD Drive
PIN#13 5 VDC Ground
PIN#14 5 VDC Positive
PIN#15 Enable #2
PIN#16 No Connection

Tne same instruction set that applies to the 2 line displays applies to each of the 2 40 Character sets ... That is all the control/data lines are paralleled except for the Enable Lines so Enable #1 controls Display Lines 1 & 2 of the 4 Line Display and Enable #2 controls Display Lines 3 & 4. The Instructions/Data is applied to the display when the Enable Line goes from a HIGH to a LOW. The Instruction/Data needs to be on the PINs and stable when this occurs.
I am interfacing a 4 Line x 40 Character display with a PIC18F452 ( a flash Microcontroller ) and a 12 Keyboard and both are now working ( it took me most of last night to figure out the proper PIN Out for the LCD Display ) from that point on it was a snap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back