Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Latex Indents or Spacing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAl

Most Helpful Member
Hello,

I was trying to get leading white space for a math formula on ET and couldnt seem to find a space command to get this to work.

As a simple example, say i want to indent the formula:
y=x+1

say 10 spaces in from the left so it looks sort of like this:
. y=x+1

which in latex:

[LATEX]
. \hspace{20 mm} y=x+1
[/LATEX]

only without the leading dot.

It works if you use any leading character but it would look neater if it did not require that.

I tried all of the standard white space generator commands such as hspace and hspace* that are discussed on various sites on the web but nothing worked.

Any ideas?

Also, i could not find a link to the Latex editor without going to a thread that someone had posted the link into. Is it on the home page somewhere?

Last edited:
Indents and tables have always been a problem with VB. It tends to compact multiple spaces and remove beginning space which at times is really annoying. I don't think it's LATEX related.

I've used the CODE tags to do simple tables at times, but LATEX won't work between CODE Tags.

The link to the [Latex editor] is under the symbols. The symbols don't appear all the time, you may have to "go advanced" sometimes. I use the free program Lyx.

Last edited:
The LaTeX editor on here is funky, there's a bunch of stuff it won't do, like centering and indents and \\ newlines.

Last edited:
Hi,

Oh ok i see, well maybe we could ask ElectroMaster to take a look at it. Is that under control or is it a plug in?

Hi Guys,

Because the latex commands run 'inline' the white-space is stripped out from the start and end this is by design. Why do you need to indent is it just to make the formula stand out?

Duffy: The newlines and centering is being worked out (I've got newlines working but not centering).

The editor is a popup and there is a link in the right hand side of the quick reply or advanced post page.

Regards,
EM

Hi Guys,

Because the latex commands run 'inline' the white-space is stripped out from the start and end this is by design. Why do you need to indent is it just to make the formula stand out?

Duffy: The newlines and centering is being worked out (I've got newlines working but not centering).

The editor is a popup and there is a link in the right hand side of the quick reply or advanced post page.

Regards,
EM

Hi there EM,

Thanks for looking at this.

According to various sites on the web, there is supposed to be a way to get leading white space in latex, somehow, someway, but every way they say doesnt work here on ET.
The reason for this would be to indent a formula like they do in written text books, where they would use a description of some sort followed by an indented formula on the next like. For example:

Code:
"To calculate the resistance R we can use the following formula"
"        R=V/I"

without all the double quotes.
Centering the text would be interesting too, but i have a feeling that would only be useful if the previous line took up the whole line otherwise it would look too far off to the right in some cases.

Code:
"To calculate the resistance R we can use the following formula"
"                                                             R=V/I"

(depending on your browser width R=V/I would be centered)

Ideally we want it to look like this:

[LATEX]

To calculate the resistance R we can use the following formula...
[/LATEX]
[LATEX]
.\hspace{25} R=V/I

[/LATEX]

without the dot out in front. It would look very nice that way (without the dot).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back