Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lasers and cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

HudzonHawk

It's a bit of a silly question, but I'm curious as to what the answer is.

If you point a powerful laser, say 100mw, into the eye of a human it will result in the eye suffering severe damage.

However, what if you point the laser directly into a camera, tape it, and show that tape to a human?
Will it still damage the eye, even if only slightly?

Whatever the answer is please explain the logic behind it!

HudzonHawk said:

If you point a powerful laser, say 100mw, into the eye of a human it will result in the eye suffering severe damage.

However, what if you point the laser directly into a camera, tape it, and show that tape to a human?

No it won't.

It's the power of the laser in a small area which does the damage, there's no power from the TV screen - so it's in no way an accurate rendition of the laser. It would also probably kill a spot in the camera, just as it would your eye!.

yep, a 100mw laser will definately leave a dark spot on your camera. 100mw of laser can burn garbage bags if focused correctly!!!

A laser pointer, a couple of milliwatts, will instantly burn a spot on one of the old vidicon tube cameras. I don't have a laser big enough to damage a solid state camera.

Thanks for the explanation!

A friend was recording himself pop balloons with a similar laser and I got a bit paranoid. Glad to know my worries were unjustified.

However you can still be blinded by looking at a laser though a mirror.

HudzonHawk said:

Silly? Well it's not unlike asking if you shot a gun into a video camera would it harm anyone watching the replay :rolleyes:

Lefty

Leftyretro said:
Silly? Well it's not unlike asking if you shot a gun into a video camera would it harm anyone watching the replay :rolleyes:
It is deadly.
A gullable person will die from fright.
A smart person will die laughing.

as long as you are not pointing the laser directly into the camera, you should be right. taking video's of a laser popping a balloon is fine.

A videotape that kills?

Wow, that's almost a concept you could make a movie out of.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back