Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laser...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greatbuddy

Hi dear friends,
I need to know about the lasers and their components to manufacture and principle in making Lasers..
Can anyone help out?

Response will be gladly appreciated,

Last edited:
What colour laser are you wanting to know about?

Just quickly, here is a brief description on them

Red lasers:

Red lasers are very simple to make, they consist of basically a junction called a "Die", which when you pass power through, creates coherent light. It is a very simple and inexensive proccess , thats why you can get cheap 1mw reds for $1!

Green, Blue, some yellow's/reds:

These lasers use a much more complicated method. There is no single diode capable of producing these colours directly, so they have to be made using crystals with special coatings. It starts of with a high powered infrared diode ( Same kind of thing as the red diode, just emits IR light instead ). The IR diode shoots light into the fist crystal, for a green laser, this crystal converts the 808nm light into around 1064nm. The light is then passed through another crystal, which then converts the 1064nm light to around 532nm, which is green. THe process is similar for Blue lasers. THis is called a "DPSS" ( diode pumped solid state ) laser. Yellow can be made by combining red and green, and usually red is made from a diode directly, but yellow and red lasers can be made using the same kind of technique, though they usually cost alot more. There is a Blu-ray diode out there that is a diode, but the name is covering up the fact that the light is 405nm ( High UV ). Blu-ray sounds better than UV-ray right? :p

There are a heap of sites with all the info on lasers.

Ok here is my requirement:
I need to catch the laser beam at a distance thro reciever..
This is my requirement and how to design a laser of that type and may be the distance is 3-4 kms.

There is no "Circuit" for a laser. Lasers are mostly mechanically made. Unless you have a lab with crystal coating facilities, the ability to work at microscopic sizes, a VERY steady hand and alot of time, its NOT a simple task.

EDIT: So you just need a laser that can keep a tight beam at about 4km?

Last edited:
Ok here is my requirement:
I need to catch the laser beam at a distance thro reciever..
This is my requirement and how to design a laser of that type and may be the distance is 3-4 kms.

hi,
A pulsed solid state lasing diode will easily have that range, ie 4Km.

Are using a prism reflector at the far end or a receiver.?

Whats the purpose of this laser.?:)

What actually my project is to level the ground by using laser (Transmitter and Reciever)..
I will give u the link if u want to get the basic idea..
**broken link removed**

Most lasers should be able to keep a reasonable beam over 4km. If your in doubt, get a laser with adjustable focus, that way you can focus it to your needs :)

What actually my project is to level the ground by using laser (Transmitter and Reciever)..
**broken link removed**

hi,
For that application I would suggest a continous visible laser, Red is a popular choice.
As you are 'levelling' a very narrow beam would be my choice, use a prism at at the receiving end, so the sending operator can see the returned beam.

**broken link removed**

You asked this question in a previous thread.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/laser-reciever-detector.40680/

I gave you a link back then that I thought would be helpful to you.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/08/thesis.pdf

Can you please explain why this was not what you want? Not to sound scolding or anything, but we covered this and then you vanished for awhile. What exactly is your goal? Do you just wish to duplicate the setup as shown in your link above? Again read the link I provided, it is a nice presentation on the subject.

Last edited:
Oh ho what exactly i want is the proto type of the above project..
Can u briefly give a prototype for my project.? @Mikebits
Ur project details thesis is different one.
I hope u can bear me for a while.. Ok
Sorry for my repeated topics..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back