Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laser Sensor and Counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

eptheta

I have created a circuit which is supposed to detect light from a laser (using a photodiode) and increment a counter every time the light is blocked. It works partially, but sometimes the signal bounces and the counter jumps from 1 to say 4 and then to 5 then 7 etc... it's just unstable. If i flash the laser on and off very slowly, then it registers the count more or less properly, but i want it to detect fast changes, for example me waving my hand back and forth in front of the laser.
Here's a link to the diagram of my circuit. The counter circuit works perfectly, so there's no need to include it.
**broken link removed**

If you can't improve or point out the faults in my design, could you perhaps suggest an appropriate alternative circuit that would suit my purpose ?

If anyone here can help me i would be very grateful.
Thanks

You need to implement 'de-bouncing' just as you would with a mechanical switch.

You should also post attachments here, not on a third party site, where people won't bother looking at it (I didn't). Click on 'Go Advanced' then 'Manage Attachments'.

I went to the third party site and looked, although I agree with Nigel.

Your circuit makes no sense. Why are you using the -5V supply. What kind of gate is between the collector and the counter?

Sorry, i meant 0V not -5V. I am using a TTL Chip with a NOT gate (7404) , basically to convert my variable voltage because of the photodiode to a digital signal.
**broken link removed**

Any other things i'm doing wrong ?

can someone teach me how to make an infrared counter( at least 4 digit numbers)???

Hi and Welcome

You would likely do better starting a new thread with your question. Also you need to spell out when saying four digits if you want a maximum count of 9999 or 1999 because it matters though I would assume 9999. Anyway, starting a new thread and clearly stating your objectives would be a good way to go.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back