Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laser Rangfinder (sp?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clyd3

Hi, I need to use a laser rangefinder with my PIC and PC based electronic project. What rangefinders are available, that will allow some simple interchange of information betwn. either the PIC and the rangefinder, or the PC and the rangefinder?
I would prefer with the PIC.
I need to derermine ranges in the range of 10m to 20m.
I do not necessarily need units, but rather comparisons...
Where do you think the best prices / quality are found?

Laser distance meter for 10...20m is a great challenge, because need very short pulses. Use ultrasonic, it can work from 50cm to 20m.

You need increadably precise and fast timing if you want to use light for range finding over those distances. It would be easier to use a modulated light carrier and measure the phase difference. To measure a distance with a resolution of 1/2 a meter using light your timing clock needs to be at least 600MHz; not very easy, infact quite difficult, even for someone with all the gear.

i spent a most of last year doing a range finder project, but i'm affraid i used ultrasonics.
it would be fairly hard to get ultrasonics to go as far as 20m but would be even harder to use light over this distance.
if you want to use ultrasonics i can give you a few pointers if you want....
email .. misterbenn@gmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back