Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laser Rangefinder Project (help needed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wookie

Hi there,

I am looking to design and build a laser rangefinder for a year-long college project.

So far, my research has led me to a lot of University papers with technical language beyond my understanding, however, I am not deterred.

I have researched three different methods to measure distance with light, Parallax measurement, FMCW Phase measurement and Time-of-flight measurement.

My specification requires the device to be eye safe, battery powered, compact and able to work outdoors at a range of up to 15 metres. Resolution can be pretty low, 0.5m is fine.

I understand that this is a reasonably high spec, but I believe Time-of-flight to be the most suitable method.
I intend to use 1GHz Clock, an APD and a counter to measure the round trip time of the laser pulse.

Question: Is this possible for me?

Luckily, the project doesnt have to leave the design stage for me to be awarded the qualification, but its still a lot of work and I would like to build it.

Thank you in advance!

AFAIK, directly measuring time of flight accurately is quite demanding. You say you'll use a 1GHz clock into a counter. If you find an oscillator and counter that work at these frequencies (they do exist), you'll have a resolution of 150mm.

I managed to find a 2.4GHz VCO on RS Components, but not much else... where can you find these parts cheaply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back