Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laser distance meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willy Williams

Hey guys, I need some help, I have been trying to build a laser beam distance meter but seems I have been getting wrong circuits can someone suggest for me a circuit or an idea, thanks

There is no "simple" way that I know of.
There are at least three different methods I am aware of, and probably more...

A lot of shorter range units use simple trigonometry, measuring the angle the spot on an object is offset from the receive sensor - close in gives a high angle and further away a shallow angle. They use either an optical line sensor or rotating mirror to determine the angle.

For longer distances, either:
Direct time of flight, the delay between the transmitted pulse and the receive pulse. That needs incredibly precise timing, as one nanosecond = 15cm round trip...

A modulated beam and compare the phase of the modulation between transmit and receive.
eg. 10MHz modulation gives around 30m total path per 360' phase shift. I built a unit that worked like that a few years back, using 25MHz modulation if I remember right.

It worked to a few metres but was ludicrously complex...
You can now buy a complete off-the-shelf sensor for less than just the high frequency modulatable laser unit I used in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back