Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laser diode question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

There seems to be several different color laser diodes in many different power ranges sold in packs of 10, 5, 2, 1. If i buy a 1/2 watt laser diode in red, blue, yellow, green, purple, all colors, does the color have anything to do with its ability to make heat? If I shine each color laser on a thermometer will it show the same temperature for each color? Will they all be the same brightness?

Most of the laser diodes are 3v to 3.7v. If I use 2 AA batteries do I need a current limiting resistor?

What is the current rating and do all colors have the same current?

I would like to buy a 10 pack of each color laser diode and connect them all in parallel to 2 batteries to get 3v then set them all in the front yard and project multi color spots all over the front of my house.

connect them all in parallel to 2 batteries
I am not so experienced with laser diodes. I believe each color will have a different voltage (slightly) so they should not be paralleled. (with out resistors)

If I shine each color laser on a thermometer
This depends on the thermometer. Some colors will be reflected or absorbed differently.
Will they all be the same brightness?
Probably not. Look at the datasheet.

A 500mW laser diode is a very powerful thing and is totally banned.
Especially for you, who doesn't know what he is doing.

Laser diodes are finikey little devices that drop resistance with heat, they are controlled with the LM317 current driver, see google,
with that i am able to control a blueray diode, dont let the laser diode get hot, ie too much current -- doing so will chew the life out of it..
I would recommend getting separate drivers for each diode, with heat sink

" does the color have anything to do with its ability to make heat?"
will it show the same temperature for each color? Will they all be the same brightness?

I would say each diode is different, but most likely for your purposes I would say dont worry...you get the amps from watt/volt,the light output is relative to boring details of materials.
What you should think about though is "absorption spectrum's" ie, its hard-er for red laser to pop red balloon, cause red balloon reflects red, not absorbs, thats why youtube always pops black balloons, mind you with bluray laser i can burn white paper, since there are colors being absorbed, but the reflection from it leaves spots in my eyes which is very very bad, and IR you cannot see it doing that. safety glasses all times!!

I forget the power of the bluray i think only 50mw, but it ran from 9v with lm317 driver(driver can support 500mW, but idk about the battery), and could burn within seconds (between 1cm from focal point)

DSC00753.JPG

laserpointerforums is very informative

OK so where is the best place to get the best price on 50 laser diodes all the same color.

First ask for a non-chinese site you should order laser safety goggles. That site cannot be found easily later with only one eye left...

I would like to buy a 10 pack of each color laser diode and connect them all in parallel to 2 batteries to get 3v then set them all in the front yard and project multi color spots all over the front of my house.
You could be open to a large liability lawsuit if someone accidentally looked into the laser beam and lost an eye. :eek:

Maybe I should play with the 5mw lasers they are safer and cost less. I read the laser pointers are 5mw they are plenty bright. I took a laser pointer apart I don't see any electronic parts.

If you did not recognize the electronic parts inside a pointer, you either did not dismantle it or you know way too little about electronics. Learn more before risking your remaining eye.

With knowledge and precautions you may some day kill spiders on the ceiling as I do with my violet laser.

Even on the 5mw ones, they have a Current limit.
Unless they use the Tiny Batteries that Can't Deliver Excessive Current.

When you buy A Laser, Make sure it comes with the Focus Lens or else it is pretty useless.

I have some nice 100mw Green Lasers, The Manufacturer Claimed they are good for over 50 miles.
I Kind of Doubt that, as All Laser beams Do Spread over Distance.
But they are Pretty Good.

With knowledge and precautions you may some day kill spiders on the ceiling as I do with my violet laser.
What is the power of that laser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back